INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Pentax K-5 capture failed

• Thank you received: 5
I connected my Pentax K-5 via USB to my linux machine, set USB to MSC and I see the PC communicating with the DSLR. When running KStars and EKOS I launch the GPHoto DSLR driver. When taking a frame I see the camera taking the frame but do not hear the mirror flipping. ISO is set as requested but "Capture failed" and he starts over trying again.

When connecting indiserver I get the warning: " [WARNING] Shutter speed widget does not have any valid data (count=0) " and have not found what this means.
Could someone help me out please?
Regards,

Stefan
5 years 11 months ago #25098

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sorry should have put the post in CCD & DSLR.
Stefan
5 years 11 months ago #25100

Once the Sequence is in the Aborted or Completed status and taking a frame manually, the frame is transfered to the Linux PC and shown in the viewer. So Indi does not trigger the camera. Is there something wrong with the settings?
5 years 11 months ago #25101

I probably have found the issue. Previously the DSLR was in manual mode. Have now put it on "B" (Bulp) mode and the PC takes control and the frames are transfered as it should.
Stefan
5 years 11 months ago #25102

What libgphoto2 library are you using? This is based on stable PPA?
5 years 11 months ago #25107

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic Pentax K-5 capture failed

Good to hear. I'm using a K-5II very successfully with Kstars and StellarMate. You might want to setup one of your user settings for astrophotography. I do this so that I have everything set right without fail. Most features need to be off like auto sleep. Don't want that happening in the middle of a capture session! :-)
5 years 11 months ago #25109

I installed gphoto2 and it came with the following versions:
gphoto2 2.5.9 gcc, popt(m), exif, no cdk, aa, jpeg, readline
libgphoto2 2.5.14.1 all camlibs, gcc, ltdl, EXIF
libgphoto2_port 0.12.0 gcc, ltdl, USB, serial without locking

I had the impression that all was more stable after having run the sudo apt-get install gphoto2, but just before writing this reply the camera was hanging again.
I created 2 sequences to be run one after the other. The first was 5s exposure with ISO 800 followed by 1s and ISO 1600. Running one after the other I heard the 5s mirror flipping and the 1s mirror flip but the ISO setting did not change and remained on 800. Further I also noticed that the frame displayed after changing the ISO was the last frame taken and not the new one taken with the new ISO value. Could it be that the buffer is not emptied?

Stefan
5 years 11 months ago #25127

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic Pentax K-5 capture failed

You're the second person today to point out this problem with the K-5. Dang, hope its not a GPhoto2 problem because that guy is pretty busy!
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Greg.
5 years 11 months ago #25128

• Thank you received: 15

Replied by Tom on topic Pentax K-5 capture failed

Actually this issue not only happen on Pentax users. indilib.org/forum/ekos/3195-darks-frames-same-as-lights.html

I already told Jasem about this issue. Maybe my english is not up to his standard to understand. :) I hope someone with better english can report this issue to him.

Regards,
Tom
5 years 11 months ago #25131

Debug logs are required when reporting issues. These things are quite complex as you can imagine, I cannot make an assessment (usually) alone from the description of the problem. I don't know why sometimes it returns the _last_ image. If anything in the logs looks funny when this happen, then this would be a place to start investigating. I'll see if there is a way to clear _everything_ whenever a capture is taken as well.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
5 years 11 months ago #25137

I made a small modification to the GPhoto driver where it now deletes the complete folder to ensure there are no ghost images left behind. Not sure if this would really solve anything. Only way to find out is for those who reported this issue must test it. Either compile the code from GIT, or use the Nightly PPA to get it. Make sure debug logging is turned on!!
5 years 11 months ago #25139

I upgraded before starting and must state the the situation is more stable.
Two sequences have been defined with different ISO. The first sequence works fine but the frame is showed in the viewer before the next frame is taken. I have the impression the frames are not saved. After the first sequence, the ISO setting has been changed and communicated to the DSLR. This did not work before. The second sequence is launched but no frames are shown in the viewer.
This time I attach the log.
The gphoto2 version is as follows:
gphoto2 2.5.9 gcc, popt(m), exif, no cdk, aa, jpeg, readline
libgphoto2 2.5.16.1 all camlibs, gcc, ltdl, EXIF
libgphoto2_port 0.12.0 iolibs: disk ptpip serial usb1 usbdiskdirect usbscsi, gcc, ltdl, USB, serial without locking
5 years 11 months ago #25165

Time to create page: 1.247 seconds