INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to update telescope coordinates?

• Thank you received: 29
I am not sure how, but after a while playing around with Ekos, the telescope coordinates did not match anymore the position the scope actually pointed to (e.g. Polaris) and what the solution coordinates suggest. How can I update the RA / DE telescope coordinates to match the solution coordinates?
5 years 11 months ago #25289
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 66
Yes, looks like your telescope (mount model) is way off. I would delete all your previous solver solutions and then do another one with SYNC selected (at the top left). This will start a fresh model with at least one good point.

EDIT: I would also check that parking puts it in the right place afterward. Then try another target.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Greg.
5 years 11 months ago #25290

• Thank you received: 29
Thanks a lot, will try on next occasion. Still wondering whether there is not anyway to manually update the telescope coordinates? Let‘s assume I point the scope to Polaris, so I roughly know the coordinates- and I can enter...if that was possible somehow.
5 years 11 months ago #25292

• Thank you received: 66
There's only one point that you can enter manually. That's the park position, which is assumed to be pointing at the NCP. (Some scopes allow you to set other positions like having the OTA horizontal in a stowing position but mine doesn't have this so I'm not sure how you tell Ekos that.) When you're scope is in the park position, you can go to the "site management" tab of the mount in the INDI control panel, and click "current" and "write data". This sets the parked position to the present position and saves it. You're scope position should show AZ=0 and DEC=90.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Greg.
5 years 11 months ago #25293

• Thank you received: 182
www.indilib.org/forum/ekos/3290-plate-so....html?start=24#25262

Look at this comment from Jasem. It shows the relevant screen shots and stresses the importance of having he Park position correct.
I can only attest to that. If your park position is wrong, your telescope may start ploughing the ground around your tripod. No telling where it will slew to.
5 years 11 months ago #25295

• Thank you received: 109
Last night I had the disconnect issue that there is another thread for, but my recovery mechanism might be handy. At the point it disconnect, the mount itself is still tracking, so restarting ekos on the client side is all that was necessary. Kstars did not know where the mount was, but I did, so I paused the sequence, right-clicked the object in kstars and did the eqmod -> sync from the context menu. This put the cross-hairs back on the object. I then did a capture/solve/sync from the solver tab to get it exactly where it should be. I was then able to resume my sequence and it was fine the rest of the night.

The point was, it was a way to get the mount and ekos back into sync without having to park.
5 years 11 months ago #25316

• Thank you received: 11
Hi at all,

when testing last night I had the problem that the mount pointed to ncp but ekos thought it points somewhere below horizon.
Deleting the solverpositions couldn't help there where non cause I just set up. I tried to capture and solve but this aborted because too way of. I did the park position default and write data, clear alignment nothing helped.
I disconnect/connect restarted indi, I checked my coordinates and time - all good, kstars not resumed. But I remember that I had to type my elevation several times, it wasn't saved. Anytime starting/connecting again there was some -42m elevation. (?42? where is my towel?)
Rightclicking in kstars and eqmod -> sync from the context menu didn't change anything, tried several times. It kept the same wrong position.

But then suddenly after some restarts (of anything) it was right. I do not know what i did to get it beeing right. I do not even believe that anything of my actions in the drivertabs did it.
capture and solve (do nothing) then worked, capture and solve (slew to target) worked but capture and solve (sync) not. Feels to me as if no sync could be done/saved.
I have to look if the hole mess was logged.

Regards
Andreas
5 years 11 months ago #25319

Still worrisome that it disconnected at all. There was a few memory leaks that I fixed that can affect EQMod is mount logging is turned on, but that was fixed in 1.7.0 release. Are you using that release?
5 years 11 months ago #25320

Can you check the permission of files under ~/.indi ?
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
5 years 11 months ago #25321

Hi Jasem,

the owner is "root" and group was "root" too. I changed group to "username" and set read and write. Is this right?
Thanks
Andreas
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Andreas.
5 years 11 months ago #25323

And that's your problem! You run indiserver as root once, and then INDI can no longer write there. Use this:
sudo chown -R $USER:$USER ~/.indi
5 years 11 months ago #25324

Where does that come from. This means I did anytime run indiserver as root?? How did I do this?
5 years 11 months ago #25325

Time to create page: 0.855 seconds