INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to update telescope coordinates?

• Thank you received: 11
Hi at all,

when testing last night I had the problem that the mount pointed to ncp but ekos thought it points somewhere below horizon.
Deleting the solverpositions couldn't help there where non cause I just set up. I tried to capture and solve but this aborted because too way of. I did the park position default and write data, clear alignment nothing helped.
I disconnect/connect restarted indi, I checked my coordinates and time - all good, kstars not resumed. But I remember that I had to type my elevation several times, it wasn't saved. Anytime starting/connecting again there was some -42m elevation. (?42? where is my towel?)
Rightclicking in kstars and eqmod -> sync from the context menu didn't change anything, tried several times. It kept the same wrong position.

But then suddenly after some restarts (of anything) it was right. I do not know what i did to get it beeing right. I do not even believe that anything of my actions in the drivertabs did it.
capture and solve (do nothing) then worked, capture and solve (slew to target) worked but capture and solve (sync) not. Feels to me as if no sync could be done/saved.
I have to look if the hole mess was logged.

Regards
Andreas
5 years 11 months ago #25319

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Still worrisome that it disconnected at all. There was a few memory leaks that I fixed that can affect EQMod is mount logging is turned on, but that was fixed in 1.7.0 release. Are you using that release?
5 years 11 months ago #25320

Can you check the permission of files under ~/.indi ?
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
5 years 11 months ago #25321

Hi Jasem,

the owner is "root" and group was "root" too. I changed group to "username" and set read and write. Is this right?
Thanks
Andreas
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Andreas.
5 years 11 months ago #25323

And that's your problem! You run indiserver as root once, and then INDI can no longer write there. Use this:
sudo chown -R $USER:$USER ~/.indi
5 years 11 months ago #25324

Where does that come from. This means I did anytime run indiserver as root?? How did I do this?
5 years 11 months ago #25325

I don't know, do you run INDI Web Manager as root?
5 years 11 months ago #25326

• Thank you received: 109
@knro, I am running 1.7.1 from this package: indi-eqmod-bleeding-1.7.1-3.2.x86_64 I can get the git hash if it helps. I think I still had full logs on, so will send them your way.
5 years 11 months ago #25331

• Thank you received: 29
Some questions coming up last night...

- I am using the AZ EQ5, which is equipped with encoders. Do the encoders have any relevance in the context of alignment, plate solving, parking position? When is set the parking position in the EQMod driver to default (NCP) - is this position also linked to the encoder values?

- Polaris - upon start up, being in Munich (UTC+2), should the telescope position be RA approx. 2h and DE = 90 degrees? Leaving aside the difference between Polaris and NCP. I am asking since not sure what to expect as outcome of solver and telescope coordinates.

Many thanks, Helge
5 years 11 months ago #25473

• Thank you received: 420
- I have a HEQ5-Pro and an AZEQ6 and both have encoders. If I recall correctly, Ekos disables the encoders of the mount. Parking the telescope will not save the state in the mount, at least not in case of the HEQ5-Pro and I think because it doesn't support it. I know this because I parked the scope with my laptop and then connected my RPi3 and it showed that the telescope was unparked.

- With the counter weights of the telescope down and the telescope above pointing at the north pole, the mount should report that it is pointing at +90 degrees Dec and the RA of the meridian, which goes from the north pole through the zenith south. This corresponds to the local sidereal time at your location.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helge
5 years 11 months ago #25476

• Thank you received: 301
@wvreeven could you clarify what you call encoders? My understanding is that HEQ5 and EQ6 know when one gear step passes by, therefore can count that and report the gear position, in order for a software to relate RA/DEC using a reference origin. But they do not know what the absolute position of the mount is.

-Eric
5 years 11 months ago #25530

• Thank you received: 420
Eric, sorry I was confused with the AZEQ6 which does have them. Indeed, the HEQ5-Pro doesn't.

Wouter
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
5 years 11 months ago #25534

Time to create page: 0.606 seconds