INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

CCD_SIMULATOR and the gsc dataset

• Thank you received: 13
Dear all,

First I would like to thank you for the awesome work you have done with indi/ekos/kstars.
I use mainly Indi and I am trying to implement (slowly) my own sequencer in python using pyindi and other python opensource packages. My medium term goal is to have a fully automated virtual observatory, and of course, the long term goal is to implement it with real hardware ;)

I am pretty happy with what I have now thanks to indi, but I would like to go further on the image processing side now. I really like the ccd_simulator that is implemented in Indi although I havent had the occasion to look at the code.

For now, it looks like, depending on the frameType (FRAME_DARK, FRAME_FLAT, FRAME_LIGHT), I got realistic images, in 16 bits, where the mean level, and noise level (white gaussian noise I guess ?) depends on the exposure time.
If this is trye, it is already truly awesome !

There are two things I would need to know:
-what is the noise model and what are its parameters for each images (I need to know the ground truth values)
-it is possible to see actual deep sky objects on the images that come from gsc package ?

I downloaded the gsc package, but it looks like it only contains star catalogs, and generates star images. This is great because it allows to play with astrometry engines.
But I would like to know if the appearance, signal/noise ratio and maximum visible magnitudes are influenced by some parameter that can be tweaked,

Thank you in advance for your help[.
5 years 10 months ago #26052

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301
The following user(s) said Thank You: dolguldur
5 years 10 months ago #26054

• Thank you received: 13
Thank you Eric for your answer, most of the answer I was looking for are in that code indeed !

Additional question, any idea where I can find the documentation for this "gsc" application ?
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by dolguldur.
5 years 10 months ago #26056

• Thank you received: 301
"gsc" is a catalog of guide stars used by Hubble. Jasem wrote a wrapper to access that catalog, check his ppa on launchpad. You can download the binary package and also the source tree from there.

launchpad.net/~mutlaqja/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: dolguldur
5 years 10 months ago #26129

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds