INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Solver failed on one Mac but not on the other !

• Thank you received: 33
I'm using KStars 2.9.5 on macOS High Sierra and explore the Ekos astrometry capability using the simulators.
Do do this, I recorded a picture of M101 with the CCD Simulator and saved it on disk.
I'm working on two computers a desktop and a laptop, with same system, same KStars 2.9.5, and same Astrometry folder.
The simulated picture of M101 can be solved by the app Astrometry of CloudMakers without any problem on both computers.
It can also be solved ON LINE by Ekos on both computers.
However this picture can be solved OFF LINE by Ekos on my desktop but not on my laptop : it makes a triple chime and says "Solver failed. Try again".
What means that triple chime ? And what could be the different setting between these two computers ?
Thank you.
5 years 10 months ago #26135

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is the FOV already set or is it indicated as 0x0? It simply could be timing out.
5 years 10 months ago #26143

• Thank you received: 33
Hello Jasem,
I just found the reason of the solver malfunction : the way I named KStars !
History : Sometime ago, I found that the latest version KStars 2.9.5 was not connecting my Maxdome II observatory.
Same for KStars 2.9.4.
Only KStars 2.9.3 worked properly (it's good to have backups !).
Juan made the necessary changes which will hopefully be available in the next KStars release (bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=393775)
Thus I had several versions of KStars in my Application folder that I named : KStars 2.9.3, KStars 2.9.4, KStars 2.9.5.
And that the modification of the KStars name that the solver doesn't like.
For the solver to work, the application must be named "KStars" and not "KStars 2.9.5".
Only two full days of trials to find it out .
Regards,
5 years 10 months ago #26147

• Thank you received: 809
I think the issue is the space in the KStars path. I put instructions into the Quickstart pdf that is distributed with KStars in the DMG that if you want to use the astrometry.net plate solver that you should not put KStars in a folder or file with a space in the filename. It prevents astrometry.net from working properly. Calling kstars "Kstars 2.9.5" puts a space in the folder name for the app bundle.

Thanks,

Rob

FYI:
5 years 10 months ago #26170
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds