INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Choosing Celestron NexStar gets indi_celestron_gps driver

• Thank you received: 69
Maybe there is a overlap in driver functionality, but for me, when I choose "Celestron NexStar" from the Stellarmate Web Manager as my telescope, the driver that is reported selected is "indi_celestron_gps". This works well for me... except that as I now have a new gpsd GPS receiver plugged into the RPi 3B+ I don't see a way for the gpsd time/location data to update the NexStar data. As a test, I have intentionally started up the CGEM DX with an incorrect date, and don't see that the indi indi_celestron_gps driver it is currently using is able to snoop on the real gpsd gps device to update it's values. Is this at all possible? I was hoping to set an accurate time/position on the mount for its own internal polar alignment routine (for when the scope is being using in a mixed visual observing / astrophotography environment).

Thanks
5 years 10 months ago #26204

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yes, treat the "Celestron GPS" as any other mount driver. In Ekos, you need to select the 3rd option in INDI option as illustrated below.

5 years 10 months ago #26205
Attachments:

Thanks, I already have that option enabled. I'll reboot both the RPi and Kstars on the client to see if that helps and report back. Well actually I already know that KStars on the client is reporting "GPS Location"
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Jerry Black.
5 years 10 months ago #26206

Well KStars is reporting "GPS Location" and the indi control panel shows that the date is updated in the Celestron NexStar driver. What doesn't seem to be updated is the hand set on the mount. As far as I can see, the RTC on the hand controller still reports an earlier date. I presume I should get this as close as possible to the correct date/time/location when doing the NexStar internal polar alignment, but not sweat the precision details (HH:MM:SS) needlessly?
5 years 10 months ago #26207

A log would help in this case to check if the commands made it to the mount. Make sure to turn on INDI+Mount loggings.
5 years 10 months ago #26208

This looks good to me, but I can confirm that the hand controller RTC itself still reports an earlier date/time.

5 years 10 months ago #26209

Right, the driver actually sends the time it received from the GPS over to the mount, you can see it here:
[2018-05-24T10:34:29.798 ADT DEBG ] - Celestron NexStar : "[DEBUG] CMD <48 0A 22 1C 05 18 12 FD 00> "
[2018-05-24T10:34:29.798 ADT DEBG ] - Celestron NexStar : "[DEBUG] RES <#> "

The mount also acknowledged OK. Not sure why it's not updating on the HC itself, but it's definitely not an Ekos/INDI issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jerry Black
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
5 years 10 months ago #26211

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds