INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Best way to use Stellarmate from the field?

• Thank you received: 155
I sent out for a new Macbook Pro - maxed out - but I still would like to have a more powerful INDI server controlling all my gear at the scope - in a remote off-the-grid location. I was looking at minicomputers but they seem to draw too much power. Anyone have any ideas for a low-power 4 GB Linux/Ubuntu computer that works well off a 12 volt battery for several days, has WIFI, and Ethernet?
5 years 9 months ago #26638

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 69
For a "faster" unbuntu computer... I have a raspberry pi 3B+ and I 'think' it seems slightly faster than my previous 3B (I'm guessing the stellarmate is a 3B). I don't know if it really has improved Stellarmate OS performance as I didn't have an opportunity to try that OS on both hardware devices. This site suggests a slight improvement. libre.computer/2018/03/21/raspberry-pi-3...view-and-comparison/ Having said that, I find writing (36 M) images to the local Pi more reliable than writing back to host EKOS MacBook Pro.
5 years 9 months ago #26647

I grabbed a new MacBook Air and last night had a great time using it to capture some deep sky data.
I had the MacBook connect through it's own KStars and just used the Stellarmate as an INDI server. This worked great, but I then wanted to try using VNC and run KStars/EKOS on the Stellarmate. That went well until I decided to try and change the display resolution. I wanted to try and use up the full native screen of the MacBook (1440 by 900) instead of the Pi only showing up as just about 1/2 that. But I goofed. The Ubuntu desktop monitor controls did not allow for any change, so I changed the text in the boot congfig.txt. That made it worse! Now the display via VNC shows less desktop space. The Stellarmate display is magnified, and cuts off. I made it worse! And now I can't remember what the normal config.txt was, so I cannot get the screen back to the way it was before, nor how to actually accomplish what I desired to do.

Can anyone share what settings in config will let my MacBook have a larger Pi desktop space when using VNC?
5 years 8 months ago #27098

Ok, solved! I uncommented out the framebuffer_width and framebuffer_height properties and changed them to:
framebuffer_width=1440
framebuffer_height=900

Works great!
5 years 8 months ago #27104

• Thank you received: 66

You have my exact same setup. When I need to go to the desktop, I use the finder for VNC - click go/connect to servers/ and type in vnc://stellarmate.local

When connected, you can put it in full screen and it should look good.
5 years 8 months ago #27111

Time to create page: 0.345 seconds