INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Some general questions

• Thank you received: 2

Some general questions was created by Chris

Dear Indi-Community,

As my final project in school, I want to upgrade the Observatory of our school. We will soon get a new mount for the main telescope "Meade LX 200 14inch". The new mount is a "Herkules V24" from "AOKswiss" (link: www.aokswiss.ch/d/mont/ddm/herkules_v24/...ht_herkules_v24.html) I figured that there is no Indi-Driver for that new mount selectable in Ekos/Indi, how can I create one (?) or can I used another one?

One of my goals is, to set up an Indiserver in the observatory to be able to remote control it from anywhere with internet. Because the dome is not motorized yet, someone would still need to open the dome manually but then be able to control it from a warm place.

I have got two questions concerning that:
  • I found plenty of instructions on how to do it with a raspberry pi, but I want to use the available mini PC running Linux. What do I have to install there to get it running?

• How can I assure, that this system is as secure as possible and only users with permission can access the server with a password and control the telescope, camera, etc. from any IP (not only local)?

After that is done I want to "Robotise" ;-) the observatory to take automated Images of Deep sky objects, but one after another...

I am a "newbie" to astronomy so those pieces of advice mean very much to me.
Thank you so much for the help.

Friendly greetings,
Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oleg
5 years 9 months ago #27021

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Some general questions

Hi Chris,

Welcome aboard! What an ambitious project! Wish you best of luck! Regarding your questions:

1. I checked the documentation in the link you provided and the mount uses LX200 protocol for communication, so you can use the existing INDI LX200 drivers to control it.
2. Regarding OS, just install Ubuntu 18.04 and then install INDI from the INDI Stable PPA . You're set!
3. Security: Authentication & Authorization is not handled by INDI, it should be handled by something high level. There are many solutions for this and it depends on how you want to approach the issue given your infrastructure, rules, and regulations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris
5 years 9 months ago #27022

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds