INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

BUG: ZWO ASI 183 MC PRO does not work in full resolution!

• Thank you received: 10
Hi,

here's another bug: ZWO ASI 183 MC PRO does not work in full resolution in Rasperry Pi! It keeps on crashing when starting live video or when taking a preview image the Rasperry freezes completely when trying to display the downloaded image.

It is purely related to the resolution (5496 x 3672). I have another ZWO ASI 290 MC which works well. I turned down the resolution of the 183 to the one of the 290 (1936 x 1096) and it works as well. It seems KStars / Ekos can not handle the big data sizes.

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed right now as NONE of my equipment seems to be working without problems with Ekos:

Skywatcher EQ6-R: driver keeps on freezing (at least on Mac via the handcontroller, did not yet try on the Raspberry with direct cable)
Canon 7D: Canon driver crashes, as well as the GPhoto, have to get out and power off and on the Canon
Skywatcher AZi GTI: does not work at all with Ekos
ASI-290 MC: Does not record temperature data
ASI-183 MC Pro: See above

I am wondering if I should really get the focuser, I was luring at ;-)

So, please keep up the good work so far with KStars / Ekos, but please please fix some of the issues at least!

Thanks

Rogue
Skywatcher Newton 200/1000, Sharpstar 60ED, Canon Lenses
Skywatcherr EQ-6 R, AZ-GTI
StellarMate @ Raspberry Pi 3B+
ASI 183 MC Pro
ASI 290 MC guiding cam on APM 60 ImageMaster
Sesto Senso 2 Focuser + Astromechanics Canon Focuser

Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Amin Sharaf.
5 years 9 months ago #27618

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Okay, this is getting weird.

It seems that only KStars is crashing on the Raspberry Pi. I used KStars on the Rasperry Pi to get the Focus of the cam right and therefore used Live Video which let KStars and or Ekos crash on the Raspberry. When I reduced the resolution it worked.

Now I am using KStars on my Mac to connect to the Raspberry and it refuses to lower the resolution remotely (error 8?). I started Indi via KStars on the Raspberry Pi and KStars crashed there, but Indi is still running and it works with full resolution. I see that memory usage on the Raspberry is at 55% where indi_asi_ccd is eating up 160MB alone, might that be the issue? Not enough memory for running KStars with live preview and indi on the Raspberry with 20M pixels resolution?
ASI 183 MC Pro

5 years 9 months ago #27620

This is known issue with INDI ASI driver on Raspberry PI. It uses too much memory for moderately sized cameras. I already informed ZWO but there isn't much to be done really since the ZWO SDK takes a lot of memory. StellarMate already uses memory compression so that it appears to be "2GB" rather than 1, but I guess for your camera you reached the limit.

There is a udev rules file over at /lib/udev/rules.d/99-asi.rules where in the first line it sets USB memory to 256MB, maybe try to increase that to see if it has any effect? If you change this value, say to 400MB, then you need to restart StellarMate before trying again.

So, yes, memory is the problem. Maybe Raspberry PI 4 is released with more memory? I can only dream.
5 years 9 months ago #27622

ok, but it seems to run well, if KStars is not running, but only indi server is running. The only reason I needed KStars to be running was to get the manual focus right. That would have been to laggy over the network.

What is still weird though is, that I was able to reduce the video size on the Raspberry itself, but I am not able to to do so when working remotely.

But I guess that answers also my question for the focuser, I definitely need to get it ;-)
ASI 183 MC Pro

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
5 years 9 months ago #27623

After all the initial problems I had, I need to say this:

This software is really awesome. It worked flawlessly the last night and I really enjoyed watching the telescope move around and take the photos it was supposed to while sitting in the living room next to it.

Please keep up the good work!
ASI 183 MC Pro

5 years 9 months ago #27641

Time to create page: 0.301 seconds