INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Installing INDI/KSTARS-EKOS on a NanoPC-T4

• Thank you received: 42
tightvnc seems popluar, I run vnc4server, but I couldn't find any thing specific for your combination.
This is a bit off the wall, but this blog might be a resource for you.
tech.scargill.net/nanopc-t4-from-friendlyarm/#more-9931
He just got his nanopc-t4 & install lubuntu and last post had run into your dbus issue.
Could let him know the fix and ask him which vnc server he is using.
/Tom
5 years 7 months ago #28561

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
I use the vino VNC server on Ubuntu and the RealVNC client (the free one!!!) on my Mac. Vino needs to not be encrypted for this to work. By the way, I use the RealVNC client on my iPad as well and that works too.
5 years 7 months ago #28563

• Thank you received: 155
Mde lots of progress tonight. I got Vino VCN to work, and connects from a local network well. Very responsive too.
But - I have two issues I need help with:

1. I need the system (Lubuntu) to start the VNC server automatically upon startup. As the machine will be headless, it needs to be a turnkey system. I'm not sure if Vino Vnc will allow that. If not, please suggest an alternative, noting that RealVNC does not work on the NanoPC T4.

2. As soon as I log off from my Mac, VNC server shuts down on the Lubuntu machine. I need it to stay active all the time.

Any help would be appreciated!

Peter
5 years 7 months ago #28574

• Thank you received: 51
Have you tested x11vnc which is the simplest way to access your SBC ?
Are you familiar with shell script ?
I might provide you some shell scripts that might help you to install x11vnc so it could start at boot.
You can take a look there: github.com/Patrick-81/NAFABox/blob/maste.../install_comsetup.sh
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Kennett
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Patrick.
5 years 7 months ago #28576

Does your Lubuntu system boot into a desktop? My Ubuntu system does (it starts the MATE desktop) and IIRC yours into LXDE. You should be able to add a start up application that starts the vino server for you. That’s what I did and it works like a charm.

Also have a look at the vino config settings using the dconf editor. it could be dconf2. I am not sure so please check yourself. There should be an option to keep vino running after you disconnect.
5 years 7 months ago #28577

Major breakthrough!
1. I got the NanoPC to login automatically upon booting.
2. It creates a hotspot automatically.
3. Starts the VNC server
4. Stays on after I quite my VNC client - and has no errors reconnecting over and over.

Now I just have two more task to figure out. Please offer suggestions!

A: I need the system to use a screen size of 1440 x 900 when headless (VNC). Right now it's a tiny block about 400x400 square!
B: need INDI Server to automatically start upon booting.

Then I will test it with my gear as a headless INDI controller for my Astro rig.

Making progress! Thanks all!
5 years 7 months ago #28642

• Thank you received: 182
I solved this by writing a small script, making it executable (set the permissions accordingly) and calling it up during startup.
I need to check the exact syntax I used (once I get back home), but the core element was to use the command

xrandr -s 1440x900

In my case I used a different screen size, but 1440x900 is what you probably want for your Macbook Air.

You can check whether that works by calling up the terminal when you start up your NanoPC and then enter above command. The screen size should then change. If it does, it is simply a matter of calling up the command during startup. In that script you can then include other commands as you wish to be executed at startup (e.g. KStars). Or you can just add KStars to the startup items.
5 years 7 months ago #28645

Thanks! I looked (and tried) but 1360x768 is as close as I can get.
Where do I put the command so it occurs while booting?

PK
5 years 7 months ago #28646

Ok I found an easy to to autostart that commend. I just opened Preferences from the desktop, opened Default applications for LXsession, clicked on Autostart, clicked +add, and just typed "sudo xrandr -s 1360x768"
When I hit enter, it changed the heading to "manually auto started application" and executes it!
I tested it, and my headless NanoPC T4 works great!

Now I just need to get INDI Web Manager up and running.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Peter Kennett.
5 years 7 months ago #28649

• Thank you received: 182
That's great, Peter! Looks like you are basically there.
One question, though: Why do you need INDI Web Manager? I just run everything on my Pi3 or my Zotac and log in via VNC. In other words, no part of INDI or KStars is running on my Desktop. That way I am completely flexible and can log in seamlessly from any device I want, e.g. from my Desktop until I go under cover, and then during the night from my iPhone, to check on progress and occasionally make adjustments without having to get up.
5 years 7 months ago #28650

That is a good point. I guess I was just trying to have all options on the table.
I will test it outside when I get a chance and see if any bugs pop up.

Thanks again for your help!
5 years 7 months ago #28654

A more Linux-esque way of doing this is by adding an X config file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf with the proper settings for your display. But the xrandr method works as well, yes :)
5 years 7 months ago #28657

Time to create page: 1.037 seconds