INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[FIXED] oh dear remote upgrade to 18.04 LTS gone bad...

• Thank you received: 57
This may be due to the change of network devices naming in 18.04 - if you have /etc/network/interfaces with explicit device names and do not have udev rules to rename devices to your names it will fail. I'm just guessing here but it seems plausible to me. Maybe your remote hands can edit the names ?
That is why I never use ubuntu on remote servers without remote console - it is designed for the desktop and bites you in the behind in the worse possible moment.
I would humbly suggest moving to debian - it is a bit harder to set up (no PPA, older packages etc.) but it is worth it at the end - just my HO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
5 years 7 months ago #28749

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223
Hello,

Thanks, that's some good info there, I shall check the file first before going for a full re-install.
Only me can work on the observatory, nobody else.

I choose Ubuntu for the PPA, had Debian to start off on that board.
5 years 7 months ago #28750

Been there, done that... Had to migrate several systems back. That is the punishment for going for shiny objects!
Regarding interface names. You can get it back by adding to kernel command line following args:
net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0
You can add it in cmdline.txt. Actually if you can get the boot card out and fix it on different machine your board should come right up.
Hope it helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
5 years 7 months ago #28758

• Thank you received: 226
Maybe Mr. Remote hands could ship the Odroid back to you? At least then you can fix it ahead of your next trip and reinstall it in December. Or send it back to Mr. Remote hands to reinstall it for you?
5 years 7 months ago #28917

Remote hand will not be able to do this.
When I designed the new observatory box, I wanted to put the electronics on the outside within a external sealed box for easy access. Sadly, I wasn't able to think about something good and went with the original design, ie: all inside.
Well, now I'm kind of suffering for it in a way. So, maybe this is the wake up call I need and design that external box after all. Or buy a ready made cabinet for it.
5 years 7 months ago #28940

Actually you need the sdcard only. But I guess it is not accessible as well.
I used to have this type of problem in different context and I solved it by having some kind of serial interface or console accessible for "remote hands" which can be connected to with dedicated cheap device (like pre-configured pi-zero-w or something) which can forward this to the network (in my case it was - pre-configured old laptop with configured vpn). In your case: maybe redesign it in the way the boot card is accessible? Or just configure odroid to boot from usb stick if it is present and make rescue-usb-socket accessible to remote hands + leave the "rescue stick" with them.
5 years 7 months ago #28942

I do not use the SdCard, I use the eMMC card which is located at the back of the board...
Shall look into this boot from usb, not sure if you can do it with an oDroid C1.
5 years 7 months ago #28946

• Thank you received: 54
you could use the "boot media selector", and add a switch outside your setup, so that your remote hand can access it
Then, SDCard could be used as an emergency boot
5 years 7 months ago #28948

So after a gruelling 10 hours drive... I have fixed the Odroid, I checked the log files before doing anything else and nothing came up as bad.
However, I had to re-install the OS, so I picked the 18.04 LTS minimal install image.

I have to re-install all the softwares and tweaks..... :(
5 years 5 months ago #30289

• Thank you received: 420
Uff well good job on recovering the Odroid and good luck with setting up everything again.
5 years 5 months ago #30290

I have a backup of everything, so it's not a big deal to start from a fresh OS install, Hope to have everything done by Saturday as I'm driving back on Sunday.
5 years 5 months ago #30293

I'd suggest to make another SD card ready. So if anything goes wrong like this in the future, you can ask your relatives to simply swap the SD card instead of driving all the way to fix it.
5 years 5 months ago #30295

Time to create page: 0.293 seconds