INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Running a distributed INDI-based astro-imaging setup

• Thank you received: 223
What a cool setup, don't forget to put it in the topic Post your INDI Setup! .
Could you please tell me more about that mini scope? found the answer on your website
William Optics ZS61.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Howard
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Gonzothegreat.
5 years 7 months ago #28939

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18
Thanks! I'm writing up a few more details on my setup, and took a few more shots of system today. I'll add it to Post your INDI Setup

Here are a couple new pics, doing some end-to-end testing today in the front yard, and everything started up beautifully.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Chris Howard.
5 years 7 months ago #28954

• Thank you received: 155
Hello Chris. I too have the CEM25P and run a portable system with a WO Star71 and ASI1600MM, filter wheel, moonlight focuser etc. I also operate the whole thing via WIFI from my MacBook Air. Like you, I powered all the equipment on the scope via a lithium battery and a Stallermate that both ride shotgun with the scope. To solve the hand controller cable problem, I use the ioptron StarFi wifi transmitter on the handset, and connect to that from the same Stellarmate. No cables needed between the hand controller and Stellarmate. For mount power, I also have a portable 12V battery that sits under the mount.

The Starfi is powered by the mount's iOptron auxiliary Port, and plugs into the handset. It wirelessly connects easily to the Stellarmates wifi, which is just two feet away up on the scope. INDI has no trouble then controlling the mount, and it works flawlessly with Kstars and EKOS.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Peter Kennett.
5 years 7 months ago #28956

That's perfect! I looked at the StarFi adapter, but wasn't certain it would solve the problem. I have a generic bluetooth-to-serial adapter for my Orion Atlas and I tried it with Stellarmate and the CEM25P. Everything connected, but I couldn't get it to work. So I went on to a separate Raspberry Pi. I have a Raspberry Pi0W with Raspbian and INDI, and I'm thinking of testing it with this setup, just to make the whole thing smaller. Or I may just get the StarFi! Make things even easier.

How does your ASI1600MM do with cooling and battery time? That's the one step I haven't pushed yet. I've taken some dark frames at -20, but I haven't tried running the setup through the night. I'm using this 6000mAh Li-ion: www.amazon.com/dp/B00ME3ZH7C
5 years 7 months ago #28960

• Thank you received: 301
This is really a nice setup. Precisely as you mentioned, I thought a relatively small battery - one that can be mounted of the scope itself - wouldn't be powerful enough to support the coolers of the cameras. My Atik 314L is 12V 0.8A, this alone would need at least 6Ah for a night.

-Eric
5 years 7 months ago #28961

Thanks! You're right, power is the main problem to solve. I run dew heaters most of the year. I tested this 6Ah battery for several hours with a couple dew strips, and it looks like I can get through the night with a second battery dedicated to dew control. But having multiple batteries stacked up on the scope sort of defeats the purpose. As cool as this is I'm sure I'm going to end up running a 12v line to power the Atik, Pi, and dew controller.
5 years 7 months ago #28962

Ha! That’s what I ended up doing. I found I could only get about 6 hours with everything running, and now that I added the dew control, I needed two batteries. So I decided to install a Rigeunner power strip and have one 12V line down to ground. I now have a 36 ah battery under the tripod that runs the setup, and have enough power for two full nights. During the day though, I top it off with a solar charger.

But I still keep all other cables out of the way with the Starfi and one micro computer at the scope. Since I upgraded the power, I also upgraded the control computer to the NanoPC T4 which is much faster than the Pi. That helps with VNC, saves my images faster, faster auto focusing, and speeds up plate solving too.
5 years 7 months ago #28966

Thanks! I'm going to go with the same. I'm using the iOptron mount more these days, and weight is the issue. I would just pile up the batteries on my Orion Atlas, but nowadays I only set that up with the larger RC scope.

Still, I really like the idea of having all data and power together. Some day. We'll just have to wait for all this promised next-gen lightweight super-battery technology being developed to catch up to our demands! Of course, by that time we'll all be using fully-automated harmonic drive EQ mounts that cost a 10th of what they cost today, and weight won't be a problem (www.rainbowastro.com/xe/mount_rst_150h/10129).

I swapped out the CEM25P saddle with the ADM one a while back. Not sure that I gained anything by it, but it looks pretty cool. While I had the original saddle off, I was looking down the dec tube and I wondered if I could run power through that and out the bottom where the polar scope LED cable jack is. Maybe drilling through the ADM saddle base, the cylindrical adapter, and running that line to my CCD and other gear. Probably more trouble than it's worth, but it was interesting to think about--and iOptron does that with their big CEM mounts today.
5 years 7 months ago #28969

I too took my saddle off to see if I could run cables down it, but didn't think long about drilling. I think I would not do that.
I replaced my saddle with ADM one with extra large knobs to match the gold trim on my WO Star71. Love those large knobs!

Peter
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Peter Kennett.
5 years 7 months ago #28970

• Thank you received: 28
You could build something which replaces the counterweight with a 25AH non spill gel type battery. Balance the whole thing and that should keep the whole thing going for a night.
5 years 7 months ago #28975

• Thank you received: 301
Yes, there's a market for counterweights which serve as batteries!

About dew heaters, on my side I recently hit a voltage stability problem. My observatory is connected to the mains, but because each of my cables is eating 1-2.5A when the PWM activates every second, the power supply cannot sustain the surge of current. I end up with a periodic 100Hz 2V signal on the 12V distributed to my equipment because of the single power cable I was proud of... Well, lesson learned...

-Eric
5 years 7 months ago #28976

Time to create page: 0.356 seconds