INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Testing Ekos with NGC 6992

So today I decided to put Ekos to some testing after all the modifications (almost daily!) that have been going on for the last few weeks. This was a good exercise as I discovered a few issues and fixed it right away. However, one issue that required a new solution was the In Sequence Focusing feature which automatically checks the HFR after each capture and see if it exceeds a user-configurable value, and if it does, then it initiates the autofocus routine. The initial autofocus routing was done while using the Luminance filter (L), and if it is run again in any other filter (HA, R, G, B..etc) then the autofocus results are disappointing and I end up with an out-of-focus frame! So there must be a way to tell the autofocus routine to stick to some filter when performing the autofocus process, and I made changes in the focus module to reflect that.

Of course, folks can still leave the autofocus routine run in whichever filter was set the Sequence Queue in the CCD module, but for folks in my case, I'd like to stick to a single filter. The weather was a bit windy and the temperature was 40 degrees Celsius at midnight!! So I wasn't expecting spectacular images, I only cooled the CCD to 10 degrees above zero. Anyway, it was a good test run, the guiding was spectacularly smooth with the lodestar, it looks like I got my polar alignment quite well this time. I'll leave you with some screenshots from the session.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gonzothegreat
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 8 months ago #1608

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223
Great work, and thanks for posting the screenshots, much appreciated.
9 years 8 months ago #1631

So two days ago, I went with a friend to AlSalmy desert, northwest of Kuwait to escape _some_ light pollution and the conditions were nice, temperature was 38C though so cooling the CCD down from ambient was limited. Took 300sx6 frames in HA-RGB and processed them later with Pixinsight. Here is the image. There are some issues with the image (unfocused) on right side, maybe optical issue?

9 years 7 months ago #1686
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 19
I'm not sure what your problem is on the right, but I like the image anyway! :)
9 years 7 months ago #1706

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds