INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Banana Pi

• Thank you received: 41

Banana Pi was created by Christian

Hi!

Some days ago we got our new Banana Pi (BaPi) :) I tested both Raspbian and the new Bananian (pure Debian except the modified kernel), they work fine with the Raspbian drivers you can download from the INDI page. The performance is much better than with RasPi, I get more than two times more images (using 0.01s exposure) from BaPi than from RasPi when I use our QHY5. Also the Network (Gbit) is very fast. I also compared with a Notebook (Core 2 Duo 2,4GHz, 8GB RAM, Fedora 20), there is no difference in performance while RasPi is much slower.

There will be a detailed report on telescope remote control using Banana Pi, INDI and KStars in near future, also as a tribute to Lemaker who sent us ( astronomy group of University of Marburg, Physics department) the BaPi for free to perform the tests and get a remote controlled telescope for measurements.
Information on Banana Pi www.lemaker.org/

Christian
9 years 7 months ago #1778

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Banana Pi

How does it compare to the new PI B+ ?
9 years 7 months ago #1790

Replied by Christian on topic Banana Pi

RasPi B+ is mostly the same as RasPi B. Just some improvements and more USB ports, but not faster. Banana Pi is completely different, it uses an Allwinner A20 Dualcore ARMv7 with 2*1.0 GHz, 1GB RAM, GBit Ethernet. As INDI executes the drivers seperately it makes uses of both CPU cores. For us at university the Banana Pi is the much better solution due to the better performance over network. And no overclocking required. BaPi consumes less power although it is more powerful.

Christian
9 years 7 months ago #1791

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Banana Pi

I don't really need all the extra power to run indiserver on it :)
9 years 7 months ago #1792

Replied by Christian on topic Banana Pi

Depends on the use case. For example when we want to get a "live" view of the sun we need a fast enough computer. BaPi is fast enough for this, RasPi is much slower. For use with lower frame rates, for example photography at night, the RasPi is enough in many cases :)
9 years 7 months ago #1793

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Banana Pi

I have no problems with the Rasbperry PI now but I couldn't help it and I just ordered two Banana Pies now ... yummy!
9 years 7 months ago #1806

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds