INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Old laptop

• Thank you received: 3

Old laptop was created by Pepe

Hi everybody,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask. I have an old IBM X31 which I used as my Astronomy laptop. I kindly like to ask if you think this computer could be up to the task of running INDi, ekos, and kstars for astrophotography? I though maybe a SSD could help but otherwise I am pretty much at the limit of the laptop already, i.e. 2 GB RAM max. Processor is Pentium M, 1, 6 GHz.

Would you recommend archlinux as an low weight distribution and install a minimum KDE environment?

Thanks for any help on this!

Cheers
Stephan
9 years 6 months ago #1889

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Christian on topic Old laptop

In general this will work. INDI itself doesn't need much power, the small Raspberry Pi with 700MHz/512MB RAM is enough for most cases. I don't know how minimal a KDE can be, but for a "normal" KDE setup the CPU might be a little bit too slow. I used an old Netbook with same amount of CPU power, it ended up in an installation of LXDE just with KStars and its dependnecies. This worked fine :) But now I migrated to a "newer" old laptop (ThinkPad R400) :D 2GB of RAM should more than enough for a lightweight setup. An SSD is useful of your X31 is able to use its speed, for astrometry.net offline solving it is very nice to use a SSD, but a normal HDD is enough in many cases.

Christian
9 years 6 months ago #1890

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Old laptop

Stay away from Gnome/KDE, it's a bit like Windows.... bloated with hundreds of things you don't need nor will use.

I would recommend Debian stable, minimum install, and do a search on "tilled" window managers, super light they are.
That's of course depends on your Linux skills.
9 years 6 months ago #1891

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Pepe on topic Old laptop

Hi,

thank you for your replies! I guess I will give it a try then. I thought about archlinux as a light weight distribution. It is my understanding that I could still use kstars and ekos but do not have to use KDE as a window manager, right?

CS
Stephan
9 years 6 months ago #1892

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Old laptop

that is correct, I do not use KDE on my laptop and have Kstars running fine. Last time I used KDE as a desktop was a century ago and probably for 2 min max ;)
9 years 6 months ago #1893

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by Chris Ryan on topic Old laptop

If you can boot from CD or usb, you could try out a live distro first to see if it's worth progressing.

For example, you could look at: www.distroastro.org/ as it's astro focused with the various programs all there already.

EDIT: oops, it doesn't have ekos atm. :(
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Chris Ryan.
9 years 6 months ago #1894

Time to create page: 0.595 seconds