INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SBig ST-i hangs trying to take exposure

• Thank you received: 19
It's been a while, but I've updated to the latest (r1777) indi to catch up with various changes.

However I can't seem to get the SBig ST-i to work properly. I've fired up ekos and have connected the ST-i only. I then try to take a 1 sec exposure, which fails to return, and instead pops up an error panel with "KStars detected INDI driver indi_sbig_ccd crashed. Please check INDI server log in the Device Manager."

Switching on debug, I get this:

Running under gdb doesn't give any stacktrace. And I can't see anything more on the kstars console output.
9 years 6 months ago #1911

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

how did it run it under gdb? It needs to be something like this:
$ gdb
$ set follow-fork-mode child
$ file indiserver
$ start -v indi_sbig_ccd

Then control the CCD from KStars device manager until you get the crash, then go back here and type backtrace or bt to get the backtrace. I just tested with ST-X8E and no issues at all.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 6 months ago #1914

• Thank you received: 41
Tested with ST2000-XM, INDI 0.9.9 r1777 on Bananian, no issues. Seems to be ST-i specific.
9 years 6 months ago #1915

Definitely ST-i specific - I've got a ST8XE and it works fine.

I've added the debugging details to my cheat sheet for future reference.

Here's the resulting error details:
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Chris Ryan. Reason: Forgot to do the "bt" :(
9 years 6 months ago #1919

I thought I'd update my system this weekend (working on fixing other things), so I've moved to 3.16.3 kernel and whatever the latest versions of packages I could update to. I then rebuilt indi and kstars.

The following is dmesg output when connecting ST-i. I'm not sure if this new after the update since I didn't think to look for it before. Are the invalid maxpacket lines a problem?

I get exactly the same error as before. One other thing, it's probably obvious from the error details previously posted that my ST-i is colour, not mono.

Is there any other ST-i owners out there that can test this?
9 years 6 months ago #1971

Yup, any SBIG color CCD doesn't quite work yet because I haven't figured out how to perform debayer yet. This is the piece of code that runs if it is color:
      // Bayer to RGB if it is a color camera
      if (isColor)
      {
          unsigned short * dst = (unsigned short *) malloc(targetChip->getFrameBufferSize());
          bayer16_2_rgb24(dst, buffer, targetChip->getSubW(), targetChip->getSubH());
          char *memBuffer = (char *) dst;
          targetChip->setFrameBuffer(memBuffer);
          targetChip->setNAxis(3);
          free(buffer);
      }

The debayer function (bayer16_2_rgb24) is in ccvt_misc.c, but I was never able to test it. I haven't really found any 16bit bayer frames online (maybe my google skills are lacking). If you can send me the 16bit BGGR bayer frames somehow for your ST-I, I can then at least simulate the capture in the driver.
9 years 6 months ago #1973

I will look into sending you an appropriate file... once I work how to get what you want. :)

I can fire it up under windows and use the CCDOps to grab a fits file I guess. Will that do?
9 years 5 months ago #1981

...ignore this post, going to re-try later.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Chris Ryan.
9 years 5 months ago #2017
Attachments:

Not required now, I have ST-I color on the way now, should be here in about 7-10 days. Will let you know once I get it working.
9 years 5 months ago #2019

That's great news. I wish I could have been of more help though. Looking forward to testing it out.
9 years 5 months ago #2020

Ok, I added preliminary debayer support to the SBIG driver but couldn't test it yet, please check it out and let me know what works thus far.
9 years 5 months ago #2079

Updated and tried it. I can say that it doesn't hang any more and downloads an image. (success!)

It was an indoor test with no lens/scope so I can't tell if the image was correct or not. Next time I can try it on the full setup I'll see what happens.
9 years 5 months ago #2087

Time to create page: 0.441 seconds