INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Questions agan.. :)

• Thank you received: 46

Replied by Markku on topic Questions agan.. :)

Great!! :) one bug less in INDI :) but ofcourse there is clouds tonight, I'll test as soon as possible!
Thank you!!
9 years 6 months ago #2012

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Long time since I saw any stars at all, including our local star but got a chance to test last night :)
The OAGT checkbox is nice :)
But still can't resolve without changing parameters, now I also noticed that trying to use the local resolver stopped working, but I have to test that a couple of more times to be shure.
And "Rapid guide" is still not working, but maybe there is no change done yet.. ?

Br
/Markku
9 years 4 months ago #2202

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Questions agan.. :)

The FOV is not calculated correctly now or what? Also, what do you mean by rapid guide not working, can you be more specific?
9 years 4 months ago #2203

Yes, the FOV is correct now.
The problem with "Rapid Guide" is that when I have selected a star to guide on and try to use "Rapid guide" the green box jumps away from the selected star and often finds a 'white' pixel instead, very few times it stays at the selected star, but normal guiding works fine but takes quite a log time to get the guidepicture over the internet.
9 years 4 months ago #2215

Perhaps Peter can shed light on this :-)
9 years 4 months ago #2216

• Thank you received: 174

Replied by Peter Polakovic on topic Questions agan.. :)

Hi, try defocus guider a little bit. This should make real stars look better for used algorithm :) Peter
9 years 4 months ago #2218

IMHO, the problem may also arise due to "hot pixels" which cannot be removed by defocusing.
9 years 4 months ago #2223

Algorithm is matching airy disks 7x7 pixels. It works perfect for long focal lengths and/or small pixels and worse for wider FOVs and/or bigger pixels but defocusing should help to match real stars instead of hotpixels. Peter
9 years 4 months ago #2224

I think that there is no problem with the algorithm because it is possible to guide on the worst possible scenario, take a look at my worst guidingstar ever.

I've tried guidepics from the worst to perfect focus.
I've been thinking :blush: about the problem for a while now and here is my two cents.. :)
For me it seems (maybe I'm wrong, in that case please correct me.) like when "Rapid guide" is selected it starts to search for a guidestar from left upper corner to right and so on, finds a white pixel and stays there, and that I understand because it'snot good to loose the star.
I think that it would be better to pass the area (cordinates) of the green box for the starsearch to find the guidestar to get a smaller area to search on ?
My point in this is that the user have already found a suitable star and there is no need to search the whole picture to find one.

I'm not shure at all that I'm correct in my thinking but I don't understand C++ good enough to test anything myself :(
9 years 4 months ago #2225
Attachments:

No, it is searching for the best airy disk match in rectangle +/- 20 pixels from the last star centroid position. It may lock on hotpixel only if there is no better match and it may happen on wide-field perfectly focused image (star = single pixel). That's why defocusing should help.
9 years 4 months ago #2226

Last night the sky cleared up a bit so I did a small video about the behavior..
It's really hard to get get round stars with my oag, the more I defocus the more they look like ovals.. but take a look anyway.
9 years 4 months ago #2388

Well, I just tried with Rapid Guide and it's working. Your image is very noisy, I wonder why?!! I have the exact same CCD and this is what I get (just a few minutes ago recorded):

I am doing 600 seconds exposures, so I am now waiting for 1st image to download to judge the quality of the guiding, the drift graphics looks OK but a bit jumpy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markku
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 4 months ago #2391

Time to create page: 1.578 seconds