INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Digital Dome Works - does this work?

• Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the info. I'll add that to my list to check out once I get my observatory up and running. Maybe there is some hope to go Microsoft free? :)
9 years 6 months ago #2052

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 95
tegwilym,
what Linux astronomical software do you use?
You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
9 years 6 months ago #2053

I'm not using anything for my telescope yet, but do fool around with Stellarium, KStars and other planetarium things just to poke around and see what is visible. I still have to hook it all up to the scope. Dual boot probably.
Currently, I've been running XP (yeah...I know!) and the following:
- Autoguiding - PHP Guider with StarShoot camera
- Imaging - Backyard EOS for the Canon 60Da
- Telescope pointing - Cartes du Ciel
- Dome control - (I forget the name) The Digital Dome works software from the site. I manually have to control it since I've never figured out how to sync the scope and dome to move together.
- Processing - I was using ImagesPlus until I got the 60Da and it's not happy with the format. I've tried the free DeepSkyStacker and have had good results.
- Planet processing - Registacks - I have to try out Autostakkert next.

I don't really want to upgrade to a Win7 machine if I can avoid it. My observatory computer is a "spare parts" machine and I swap out things when I can, and we know how Microsoft is with registering their stuff.
Other than my girlfriend's computer, I'm about 95% Linux at home and even run a Mythbuntu MythTV system. Astronomy is the only thing that holds me back from 100% now....and my job - supporting it. *ugh*

Oh - I should mention I'm not running any ASCOM stuff yet either. I've just had problems getting it all working easily. Also, with our Seattle area weather, my "experimenting skies" are limited. When it's clear, I'd rather be imaging than messing with software since that clearing may not return for weeks.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Tom Gwilym.
9 years 6 months ago #2054

• Thank you received: 95
Write me your email.
You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
9 years 6 months ago #2055

I can't find a way to reply directly off-list, here it is (with protection from spam harvesters)

tegwilym (AT) comcast (dot) net
9 years 6 months ago #2056

• Thank you received: 10
Hello,
I see you are using an Orion Starshoot for a guider. The camera is definitely supported by KStars as a QHY5. It does require adding an appropriate UDEV rule so the device is recognized, but otherwise, the camera will function just fine.

Best wishes,
Dan
9 years 5 months ago #2117

• Thank you received: 0
I know I am a couple months late but I am trying to use DDW also. Now, I see two options:
1) DDW can receive basic ASCII commands, so I could attempt to control it directly
2) Slave it to the LX-200 and AAG cloud watch and hope it follow instructions
I am very interested to see if you were able to easily get the system to work out, I am about to combine the systems together and the DDW is the only things that does not work well with INDI.
8 years 9 months ago #4491

You'd need to write an INDI driver based on INDI::Dome and slaving is already handled, you just need to specify the mount.
8 years 9 months ago #4496

• Thank you received: 0
I too have a dome and am looking at Linux options for controlling it. Did you receive any solution to the initial request?

Thanks,
Jim
8 years 3 months ago #6560

DDW provides documentation for controlling the dome, but it's a lot of work and someone with programming knowledge must do it. So, someone must step in to develop the driver, or ask DDW to provide an INDI driver.
8 years 3 months ago #6565

• Thank you received: 46
Is there somewhere I can find this documentation online ?
8 years 3 months ago #6576

Sure you can get it here
8 years 3 months ago #6584

Time to create page: 0.817 seconds