INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Astrometry.net Solving Failure

• Thank you received: 5
If I run the astromtry solver from the cmd line with "solve-field some-image.fits", after a short time it will find a correct solution. If I instead use capture and solve, it fails to find a solution. I tried blanking out the additional options field ekos sets and it still fails. I've also tried solving when the scope is already using an accurate RA/Dec setting with a search restriction of 5 or 30 degrees with the same failure to solve.

Does ekos pass anything extra when it invokes the astrometry offline solver compared to no options when invoking from the terminal that works?

Verbose mode shows it looking at all the same field indexes as when run from the terminal, but not finding a solution.

On another note: Is there a way to get the indi_simulator_ccd to return a specific fits file when a capture occurs? It'd make it easier to test the capture and solve issue if I could use an image I've saved earlier and know is solvable by the terminal and when uploaded to the website.
9 years 5 months ago #2098

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Made a little progress. I did a cmd line solve and then modified the scopes focal length until Ekos reported the same FOV as the terminal solve reported. Load & Slew now solves rapidly. No idea if that's also going to sort capture and solve until my next imaging session though, unless there's a way to modify the ccd sim to return a given fits that is.

Out of interest, what do the parameters:
-u aw -3 72.3417 -4 -3.36944 -5 30
Stand for? As well as -O? I can't see anything to do with those in the astrometry readme/help.
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by Gary. Reason: spelling.
9 years 5 months ago #2099

The FOV is the first cultprit (after noise) for astrometry.net failure. I might add a reminder to warn the user to verify the FOV.
9 years 5 months ago #2100

I won't know until the next imagining session, but FOV does seem like the most likely explanation.

Do you have any idea what the parameters in the post above are for? I'm assuming -L and -H are the low and high scale which are set to bound the FOV but I can't find anything about the remaining parameters.
9 years 5 months ago #2101

• Thank you received: 19
If you run solve-field from the cmd line but give it no parameters, I believe it lists all the options.

-u aw is width of the image in arcminutes.
9 years 4 months ago #2102

Time to create page: 0.569 seconds