INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

c# & indi

• Thank you received: 0

c# & indi was created by Matthias

Is it possible to control an indi device with c#?
9 years 4 months ago #2159

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Stefan Nonneman on topic c# & indi

Dear Mgarza,

What do you mean by controlling an INDI device?
According to the documentation on this INDILIB.ORG site the indi device is controlled by the indi server. The indi server can be controlled by a client such as Stellarium, CdC or KStars.

The device driver used for launching the indi server provides info about the device control mechanism. Because the indi server is written in C it is in principle possible to replace the server with a C# program being an equivalent of the server, or am I wrong?

What I would like to have is a light replacement of the indi client. When I go with my telescope in the field, the set-up is limited in power consumption due to the fact that a car battery is used. The Indi server run on a RPi works very well but you need to control the complete setup with let say KStars and that planetarium program requires more than a RPi. I could run it on a laptop as long as the laptop battery lasts long enough for the observation period. Laptops consume a lot of energy and have a strange voltage. If I could have a light client that could be run on the RPi with the screen forwarded to tablet PC you get a complete mobile set up.

Sorry for replying and at the same moment asking a question.

Regards,

Stefan
9 years 4 months ago #2162

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic c# & indi

You can use whatever language to communicate with INDI drivers as long as you use the INDI XML protocol to send and receive commands. For simple stuff you can use indi_getprop and indi_setprop scripts from any language.

If you want something very light, go with the INDI Android client.
9 years 4 months ago #2164

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Stefan Nonneman on topic c# & indi

Knro,

Interesting this get and set prop functions. Doesn't there exist a way to find a workaround for my gamepad interface problem from my previous post?

If this needs all to be defined in the driver, these scripts are not going to help me, of course.

Stefan
9 years 4 months ago #2171

The only way now is to manually add those extra functions to the EQMod driver (in C++)
9 years 4 months ago #2173

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Matthias on topic c# & indi

Hello Stefan. hello Knro,
you are right. I thought it might be possible to have light indi client for the rpi. A webpage based on Mono and an asp.net webpage with the possibility to enter coordinates for the telescope and control the camera for imaging using the webpage.
I haven't worked with INDI up to now so I'm not familiar with its protocol. I will check the files set/getINDIproperty.

Best regards,
Matthias
9 years 4 months ago #2174

You can checkout pyindi-client which provides a web interface for INDI drivers.
9 years 4 months ago #2175

Time to create page: 0.652 seconds