INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Baader-Planetarium Dome

• Thank you received: 2
Why north? And as I understand clockwise, yes? But why not south counterclockwise? As far as I know it is a standard in astronomy... Correction is not static - this crazy stuff applies: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_cosines
I found a mathematical solution to this, but I don't know how to show and explain it... It's not that trivial :dry: I need to think about that...
9 years 4 months ago #2291

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

About the error - 1 degree maximum, will check it tomorrow. There is no command to stop the dome. But there is a simple solution - read current position and send it back ;) This will override current operation and it will stop moving further.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Alexandru Barbovschi.
9 years 4 months ago #2292

I believe the standard is Azimuth starts North going CW or eastward. Wikipedia says azimuth starting at south is the old way. At any rate, this is what INDI and KStars uses. Regarding the correction, is there a generic solution that can be applied to any mount+dome combination or is this very site specific and each driver must be customized individually?

Is this similar to what you are doing?

azug.minpet.unibas.ch/wikiobsvermes/inde...slit_synchronization
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
9 years 4 months ago #2293

Honestly, not very clear info on the page you gave :oops: I don't understand fully how much correction they make... As far as I can see they correct the German type mount specific configuration. Yes, this is important (in my personal calculations I didn't take that into consideration). It is especially critical for small domes. My calculations includes the offset of the pier from the center of the dome, that's all.
9 years 4 months ago #2294

Maximum error which I measured today - 0.9 degree. d#azr0000 indicates to South point (d#azr2700 point to East). Important note for the dome I use - after powering it up it is mandatory to go through the South point or it won't position itself in the right way. You can call it calibration :) Best solution for this I think is creating a button Calibration which will make dome to move through South point.
9 years 4 months ago #2295

So... depending on where it is, it should go to ~190 degrees if it was move CW and ~170 for CCW? Is this for all Baader planetarium domes or is it specific to your setup?
9 years 4 months ago #2296

Honestly, didn't understand the question :blush:
9 years 4 months ago #2297

Sorry I wasn't clear. But I assume that you wanted to move the dome from its home position to somewhere past SOUTH (not at south, but PAST it). So if the home was 90 degrees, it would have to rotate clockwise to past 180, say 185 or 190. If home > 180, then it would have to rotate counter clock wise to 175 or 170 degrees. This is what I understood from calibration by going past south.

I also got other good news, I contacted Ferran Casarramona (author of INDI MaxDomeII driver) and he will send in a dome-slit synchronization algorithm that we can use later on. Will keep you updated.
9 years 4 months ago #2298

Yeah, that's right, we need just to go past the sensor which tells to the dome controller "Hey, you just passed over the South point, synchronize your position!" :lol:

The good news is really good - it is better to use production-ready bicycle than produce our own :lol:
9 years 4 months ago #2299

Ok, I'll put this on hold until the slaving stuff are taken care of. But I'm curious about one thing, if the dome is initially not synchronized, how can you command to go to an absolute position near south?
9 years 4 months ago #2302

Oh yeah... Actually you are right - you have to make a circle in order to ensure that you have got past South point...
9 years 4 months ago #2303

Ok, well, I didn't put the calibration procedure there because I'm not sure how to do that, maybe you need to move the dome until it passes south then start using it in INDI? At any rate, the driver is ready with slaving option, you need to set parameters in meters, I'm not sure if the calculation works or not, you have to test and see.

These are the instructions as I received from Ferran:
9 years 4 months ago #2311

Time to create page: 1.727 seconds