INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Driver usb-focus V.3

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by delin on topic Driver usb-focus V.3

if it works for you, that's cool. maybe just somes bugs to fix. I hope so :dry:
I'll maybe let me try this system. He good?
All features work? autofocus?

ps: thx for ur ealy answer :)
9 years 2 weeks ago #3535

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 174
As far as I can say all features do work, but I'm using driver only for remote manual focus, I don't have autofocus capable client :-) Peter
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by Peter Polakovic.
9 years 2 weeks ago #3538

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Thorsten Bonck on topic Driver usb-focus V.3

Peter, I installed this driver from download.cloudmakers.eu/usbfocus-0.1-amd64.deb on Ubuntu 14.10 (latest updates, "mutlaqja" repositories active) and tried to get it to work.
It seems like /usr/bin/indi_usbfocus_focuser links against libindidriver.so.0, which is no longer available and was substituted by libindidriver.so.1
Could you please provide an upgraded package?
Symlinking libindidriver.so.0 to libindidriver.so.1 allows indi_usbfocus_focuser to start, I can connect kstars to it and and the main control tab shows correct options, but the numbers are way of, e.g. "focus speed" 32767 and a very huge positive number (601612816) for temperature compensation steps/°C.
Trying to set options to sane values stalls the interface.
I guess this is mainly a problem of the wrong libindidriver version.
8 years 11 months ago #3839

Hi, I rebuilt the driver against INDI 1.0.0, you can download it from

download.cloudmakers.eu/usbfocus-0.2-amd64.deb
download.cloudmakers.eu/usbfocus-0.2-amd64.rpm
download.cloudmakers.eu/usbfocus-0.2-i386.deb
download.cloudmakers.eu/usbfocus-0.2-i386.rpm

It should fix the problem with libindidriver.so.1, but not with temperature compensation value. I still don't know how to read these values from the focuser and had to wrote to the vendor. Thank you for wake me up :-)

Peter
8 years 11 months ago #3847

Thank you, Peter!

Starting and connecting to indi_usbfocus_focuser now works easily.
The values are still off, as you predicted.
I cannot test it in EKOS at the moment, as it always crashes when started, but that looks like a problem in kstars-bleeding.
I tried to interact with the driver using indi_getprop/setprop and think I was able to connect after setting up /dev/ttyACM0 as device, but I was not able to figure out how to initialise a movement of the focuser.
Could someone please point out how to do that?

Thorsten
8 years 11 months ago #3854

Hi Thorsten, look here:

indilib.org/develop/developer-manual/101...ies.html#h7-focusers

Set REL_FOCUS_POSITION and than FOCUS_MOTION properties.

Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thorsten Bonck
8 years 11 months ago #3855

Thank you again, Peter!

After some problems I got the focuser to move inwards and outwards using indi_setprop/getprop using the documentation you provided.
I saw some strange problems (the connection to indiserver got cut off without any obvious reason) and delved into my system logs.
On Ubuntu, the ttyACM device got blocked by "modemmanager" after a short while of usage, so the connection to that indi connections device stall.
Since I do not need "modemmanager", I simply did a "sudo apt-get purge modemmanager" and replugged the focuser.
After reconnecting it using indi_setprop, I get a stable connection.
Not only that, but also, I also get something very nice:
USB-Focus.FOCUS_SPEED.FOCUS_SPEED_VALUE=2
USB-Focus.COMPENSATION.AUTO_COEF=15
USB-Focus.COMPENSATION.AUTO_MIN=10
The values look very sane and are reproducible after replugging the device and survive a reboot.

Clear Skies!
Thorsten
8 years 11 months ago #3949

Hi Thorsten, you probably need to use /dev/cuACM or something like this, tty* is device with modem control. The only problem with COMPENSATION.AUTO_COEF is that sign can't be read from the device (it is always positive). Peter
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by Peter Polakovic.
8 years 11 months ago #3950

During summer I did not spend much time on astronomy, so I updated to the latest version of kstars/indi only a few days ago.

Using the "INDI Control Panel" in kstars, the USB-Focus works really nice, but I noticed some oddities:
  1. I can set "Ports" to /dev/ttyACM0 (which does work and connect!) but even though I saved the configuration, on the next startup of the INDI server, the setting is back to /dev/ttyUSB1
  2. After selecting e.g. 200 ticks and the direction to move and clicking on "Set", the log instantly reads "Focuser failed to move to the new requested position". The "Absolute Position" still slowly changes to the desired target value and the focuser physically moves in the right direction (I could not measure if it moves the right amount, but it does look like it does).
  3. Using Ekos, I tried to use the Focus tab. Neither manual nor automatic mode works. After clicking on "Start Focus" or "Start Framing" I tried to move the focuser by selecting "Focus Out" and "Focus In" and I can see in the INDI Control Panel, that the direction of movement changes, but the focuser does not move physically. The reported absolute position also does not change. I switched "Debug" to on and enabled "Driver Debug" in the INDI Control Panel, but there appears nothing in the log…
Any clues on what is going wrong here?

Clear Skies!
Thorsten
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Polakovic
8 years 6 months ago #5148

Hi Thorsten, thank you for your report, I'll check it. Peter
8 years 6 months ago #5149

• Thank you received: 46

Replied by Gerry Rozema on topic Driver usb-focus V.3

I've got one of these focussers here too, dont see it in the source tree. Do you plan to commit the sources into the svn, or do I need to write my own driver for it ?
8 years 6 months ago #5162

Hi, I do not plan to commit the source into SVN, because device vendor do not agree to publish the specification of communication protocol. If it is a good reason for you to write your own driver instead of helping with testing of the driver already developed, feel free to do it :) Peter
8 years 6 months ago #5165

Time to create page: 3.077 seconds