INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How does KDE 5/Plasma5 fit in with Indi!

• Thank you received: 10
So I`m reading good things about KDE 5 and look to add it to my distro, I see Plasma 5 is available for 14.10 and install it but the KDE apps show up as 4.11 (I think it was, but not 5), so I try installing Kubuntu 15.04, nice Plasma 5 desktop but checking the KDE apps still seems to be KDE 4.12 ?( I think it was ,but again definitely not 5) so where actually is KDE 5 anyone advise please?
thanks
Steve
9 years 1 month ago #3291

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1
It's as it should be for the moment. KDE5 means the basic framework the apps themselves are what they are. Maybe once the actual release date for 15.04 approaches, the apps get updated.

But as for the topic title everything is looking good on the 15.04 for kstars/ekos/indi. So far what I've found is that everything is a bit smoother on the 15.04.

One thing that doesn't seem to work is the loading of new data (ie. additional catalogs).
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Marko T..
9 years 1 month ago #3320

Yes I found that, also the `Flag` option didn`t seem to work either which was quite important as a lot of stuff I observe isn`t in Kstars database.
I have been yo-yoing quite a bit between the various distro`s and versions trying to land on one that does all I want and works without problems. I did like 15.04 and might have another go with it if my poor hard drive can stand another formatting :whistle: . I did have another mad idea if I could use Cartes du Ciel for the scope control as it has quite an in depth database and then use Ekos for ccd/guiding but the RA/Dec settings don`t seem to transfer to other Indi clients like Ekos like they do in Eqmod under windows regardless of which app is slewing the scope.
Steve
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Steve.
9 years 1 month ago #3321

I already filed bug QTBUG-44662 for problems with the FlagManager SQLITE database. Regarding other catalogs, what catalogs should we add to KStars? For stars, now we have Hipparcos, Tycho, Tycho2, and USNO Nomad.
9 years 1 month ago #3322

A lot of stuff I observe are listed by their Henry Draper number (HD) and I have a list of about 40 Wolf Rayet stars and none of them were in Kstars HD database.
I did go on the KDE science forum asking if the Kstars HD listing could be edited to add entries but was told its too involved to redo it ! Tried to find the KDE contact but I must have deleted the email!
Steve.
9 years 1 month ago #3325

• Thank you received: 1
Catalogs are, I think are a matter of taste, depending on what youe personal interests are. As for the stars, I think the G2V calibration star database could be useful to check whether or not there are G2V stars in the FOV. I know not many people use stars to calibrate their white balance in images but it would be a nice possibility.

Oh and I just noticed someting else with kstars under 15.04; it doesn't seem to save the settings when shutting down the program. It reads the kstarsrc file when changes are manually entered but doesn't save on quit.

Forgot to set the permissions of the files I copied from 14.10 :oops: Everything is working fine with saving the settings.

I appreciate the effort you are putting into kstars/ekos/indi development. Thank you.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Marko T.. Reason: Stupid me
9 years 1 month ago #3326

I couldn`t agree more and I have massive respect for the likes of Jasem who give us these wonderful apps to use. I just want to use them to their full capacity if that make sense!
Steve
9 years 1 month ago #3327

My own astro interest is spectroscopy and I need to get a chosen star onto a 25micron slit within one camera`s field of view and light goes through the slit onto another ccd. The slit is also off centre so a lot of effort is required to get the actual star where I need it to then take exposures. It does make quite a demand on Ekos as its quite different from normal imaging. I`m pretty sure Ekos can cope with it when I get all the variables right ;)
regards
Steve
9 years 1 month ago #3328

Time to create page: 0.946 seconds