INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Client on Windows, server on Linux?

• Thank you received: 5
Thanks, that was the conclusion I'd reached. I did try the KDE stuff on Windows but I couldn't find the Indi connection and, from a note on this website, it seems that the Indi part is only available under Linux anyway. Ho hum, looks like Linux has to talk to Linux.
8 years 11 months ago #3843

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 14
Currently, the INDI clients for Windows are not as developed as on linux with Ekos.
  • Sky Chart / Cartes du Ciel: on windows it can't start a server but it can still work as a client for the telescope (goto, sync, ...)
  • Device Control Device: similar to the control panel in Ekos, the last version seems to add a support for pictures but I was not able to install it.
  • IPARCOS: it is a android application but it can easily be emulated with the ARC Welder Chrome extension ( link )
  • INDI4JAVA: it is possible to start a server on windows and a client library is available. I don't know if a client is in development

INDI on windows: TelescopeSimulator driver with INDI4JAVA server, Sky Chart and IPARCOS clients
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob Meades
8 years 11 months ago #3846
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 7
Hi Rob,
I have a similar setup and the lack of a INDI client on windows let me start to work on a INDI plugin for PixInsight github.com/kkretzschmar/PixInsightINDIclient .
I am running the indiserver + lin_guider on a raspberry pi2 and with the PixInsight INDI plugin I now can connect to the pi from Windows/Linux and MacOS. The INDI protocol is a TCP/IP protocol and of course it is possible to support it on windows as well. What you have to do is to port the indiclient code to windows, so that it compiles with a visual studio compiler.

I am planning to release the INDI PixInsight plugin in the next PixInsight version (third party plugin) as a beta release. In its current version, you are able to get/set all INDI properties which are sent from the indi server via a tree control application very simiar to the INDI4JAVA app. In addition there is a simple CCD image capture module to do image acquisition from CCD/DSLR with INDI. PixInsight uses a SpiderMonkey JAVAscript engine to orchestrate the different processes. That means that you can write simple Javascript programs to orchestrate INDI commands ... but this is not really tested in its current version and only vision.

A module for controlling the mount is not available yet, therefore the plugin is in its current form not so comfortable as EKOS/Kstars ... but work is in progress.

Klaus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oleg
8 years 9 months ago #4370

• Thank you received: 95
Hi Klaus,
I'm the PixInsight 1.8 user.
How can I define all required environment variables PCLDIR, PCLBINDIR and ... on Ubuntu 14.10 (64 bit)?
Sorry for the stupid question.
You can try my open project Astronomy Linux
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Oleg.
8 years 9 months ago #4371
Attachments:

Hi Oleg,
not at all stupid question... ;) The INDI module depends on the PixInsight Class Library (PCL) which you can download from the PixInsight website pixinsight.com/developer/pcl/#Download (binaries + src)

Please refer to github github.com/PixInsight/PCL/ (src) for the meaning of the PCL* env variables (section environment variables of the readme file)

You can set the env variables in your bash configuration file (e.g. .bashrc), e.g. in my .bashrc

...$ cat ~/.bashrc | grep PCL
export PCLLIBDIR64=/home/klaus/data/C++/PCL/lib
export PCLINCDIR=/home/klaus/data/C++/PCL/include
export PCLBINDIR64=/home/klaus/data/C++/PCL/bin
export PCLSRCDIR=/home/klaus/data/C++/PCL/src
export PCLDIR=/home/klaus/data/C++/PCL/

Of course you have to adapt the pathes to the location where you have installed the PixInsight Class Library (PCL)

Klaus
8 years 9 months ago #4372

Ok. Many thanks!
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Oleg.
8 years 9 months ago #4374

Hi Oleg,
on Linux just extract with tar
$tar -xzf PCL-02.00.13.0689-20141030.tar.gz
and adapt the PCL* environment variables to the directory where you have extracted the archive. That's it.

When you have compiled the INDI module, you have to trigger the installation of the INDI module from PixInsight with -> PROCESS->MODULE->Install Modules ...

Klaus
8 years 9 months ago #4375

Hmm... But the PCL-02.00.13.0689-20141030.tar.gz doesn't contain any binaries: ~/PCL/bin/ folder is empty.
8 years 9 months ago #4376

Hi Oleg,
to compile a PixInsight module or plugin you have to statically link against the libPCL-pxi.a library which is in the PCL/lib directory. The compiled PixInsight module, which is technically a shared library, is copied into the PCL/bin directory by the makefile. You can also check the run_build.sh
script on the github repo, this is used to trigger a linux/osx build on travis build server.
Klaus
8 years 9 months ago #4378

Klaus, I can't resolve this problem.
8 years 9 months ago #4379

OK, what is exactly the problem.?Do you still get the message from the makefile generator ? When you added the PCL env varibales do not forget to start a new shell (terminal) and start PixInsight from that terminal, so that it runs in an environment where these variables are set. To be sure check your environment, e.g. with

$env | grep PCL (bash shell)...
$PixInsight &
-> start PixInsight from the terminal

The build frameworkis a bit complicated since makefile have to be kept in synch on the three platforms ...
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Klaus Kretzschmar.
8 years 9 months ago #4380

So, I run the PixInsight from terminal and open the PixInsight Makefile Generator script with the following settings:
8 years 9 months ago #4381
Attachments:

Time to create page: 1.535 seconds