INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] Connecting to EQMOD mount crashes KSTARS on RPi2

• Thank you received: 5
Hi,
After having installed KStars on my brand new Raspberry Pi 2 Mod B I tried now to control my NEQ6-Pro mount with EQDir USB-2-Serial converter.
KStars starts up fine.
When launching the Telescope wizard I get up to step 4 asking for the port. I type in /dev/ttyUSB0, the wizard connects to the mount shows 100% but does not close the box.
When going to Device manager, I can easily launch under Telescope> EQMOD as local service. This is fine and the INDI control panel pops up.
I go to the Options tab where I set the port to /dev/ttyUSB0, I push set and return to Main control where I try to connect.
Once pushing the button connect, KStars crashes.
I heard a state change in the mount so it seems that the RPi - Mount communication worked.
The KDE Crash handler opens and shows an error message:
Executable: KStars, PID: 9292 Signal: Segmentation Fault (11).
In the Xterm the system sent back an error message:
"QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme."

I googled for this message and found solutions but non of them worked for me.

I already tried reinstalling KStars but without any impact.
Could someone help me out please?

Thanks in advance,

Stefan
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Stefan Nonneman. Reason: Found additional error message
8 years 10 months ago #4222

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi,

Because I could not resist, I continued searching the web for solutions of this problem.
Finally I discovered that the version of KSTARS used under the RASPBIAN OS was 2.0.0. I checked on my UBUNTU box and found there a version 2.2.0 that worked perfectly. So I needed to install an UBUNTU version allowing me to install KSTARS from the UBUNTU PPA.
This is the way I spotted UBUNTU-MATE for Raspberry PI 2. It was advertised to be rather new so I feared some instability.
Installation went well, I installed KSTARS for Ubuntu and tested it.

Guess what ?

It run perfectly!!! INDI was behaving normally on the Raspberry pi 2. The Firefox Browser is just fantastic. I just needed to add the EQMOD driver for the telescope mount. RPi2 communicates via an EQdir USB-2-Serial connector to my NEQ6-PRO mount.

The only small difference I see is that the maximal slew rate for the mount via EQMOD is 700x while in my normal Ubuntu version it goes up to 800x.
For the rest it works perfectly well.

As ultimate test, I installed also X11vncserver and connected with my tablet via Remote ripple. Also this works much better than under RASPBIAN.

As of today, my telescope mount is controlled by a fast Raspberry Pi 2 Mod B on which I run the INDI server and the KSTARS planetarium software. For controlling this iTelescope I use a tablet, coming with a fantastic high resolution touch screen allowing emulating a mouse and a keyboard. It is just perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:) :P :woohoo:

Case closed!!! Sorry for bothering.
Best regards,

Stefan
8 years 10 months ago #4225

• Thank you received: 6
Please Stefan, could you let me (us) know how to get things working like you got?
I didn't get what you installed on your raspberry pi 2. Not raspbian? Could you elavorate a step by step guide? Please!!! ;)
8 years 10 months ago #4233

Sorry, I wrote before thinking... hahaha. I am now trying to install Ubuntu-mate. Kstars-Ekos on my pi!!! I am crossing fingers it works fluent as you say, as it sounds so great...
8 years 10 months ago #4234

Ok, this is only to confirm it runs smoothly!!!
Without any problem and very easily I got UBUNTU-MATE running on my Raspberry Pi 2. Installed Kstars and x11vnc and ready! Now controlling everything from my 6.4inch phone. Fantastic!

After testing all the options out there to use the Raspberry Pi 2 (and nothing else) to control the equipment remotely, I like this the more. Kstars-Ekos is the best option to me, by far. And now it runs smoothly on my Pi!! So, with INDI server running, I can use Kstars on the Pi if I am on the field, far from a computer, or with a laptop or desktop computer, depending where I am. :cheer: :cheer:

More test needed, but it looks great so far.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by gus.
8 years 10 months ago #4245

Gus_

I have the impression that this Ubuntu-Mate port is much more stable than the Raspbian one advertised as standard.

Ekos works fine with KStars and yesterday I tried to install pkTriggerCord, a tools for remote controlling my Pentax K-5. Under Raspbian it was not 100% working. With Ubuntu-Mate now and than it blocks but it gives me a much better feeling of stability.

I ill try out also Astrometry.net and see how this can be combined with Ekos.

Regards,
8 years 10 months ago #4253

So far so good for me too.
Now I am spending some days playing at home with it to see if it manages everything ok. And it keeps looking good. No crashes, all working and fluent enough...
No opportunity yet to try guiding and alignment (though they are the "important" part) but I think it will be ready to be tested on field very soon.
8 years 10 months ago #4265

• Thank you received: 10
A special thank you to both you guys for working and testing this. As you keep moving it ahead, please list the files for others to follow the recipe.

Best wishes,
Dan
8 years 10 months ago #4266

I keep finding ubuntu-mate pretty smooth to run indiserver and kstars-ekos.

Just today I got my qhy5 working, that was the only reason I didn't test everything on the field yet. Under a roof things are always easier...

So maybe we should open a new topic about this system so people finds it easily. I am sure it will be a good solution for many.

Next weekend I will try plate solving and guiding. And post my experience. And even the little I did to get it working.

Regards,
8 years 9 months ago #4310

Time to create page: 0.887 seconds