INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Mobile astrophotography with RPi2

• Thank you received: 5
Dear GUS_,
Thanks a lot for the excellent tutorial :P but I remain stuck at the level of installing kstars-bleeding :( .
Before, I was able to install kstars without problems but I discovered in INDI with EQMOD driver small unexpected differences with former versions. As I already mentioned in a previous post, the maximal speed for slewing the mount seems to be 700x while in the past I found 800x. It is a minor and non-blocking issue but I was curious to see kstars-bleeding working.

When I "sudo apt-get install kstars-bleeding" after having added the specific repositories (see instructions on indilib.org for ubuntu) I get this output:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 kstars-bleeding : Depends: libkf5configcore5 (>= 4.98.0) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libkf5configgui5 (>= 4.97.0) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libkf5configwidgets5 (>= 4.98.0) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libkf5coreaddons5 (>= 4.100.0) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libkf5i18n5 (>= 4.97.0) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libkf5iconthemes5 (>= 5.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libkf5kiocore5 (>= 4.96.0) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libkf5kiofilewidgets5 (>= 4.96.0) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libkf5kiowidgets5 (>= 4.96.0) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libkf5newstuff5 (>= 4.95.0) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libkf5widgetsaddons5 (>= 4.96.0) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: libkf5xmlgui5 (>= 4.98.0) but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: kded5 but it is not going to be installed
                   Depends: kinit but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
Did you installed the kstars-bleeding on your RPi2, and how did you overcome this issue?
Thanks a lot for your precious help!!!!
Regards,

Stefan
8 years 9 months ago #4429

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6
Dear Stefan,

Sorry for the delay, I've been soooo busy :(

First, thanks for putting me (us) on the track of Ubuntu-MATE for RPi2 for Astrophotography. It's been a great discovery for me.

Second, I got kstars-bleeding working. I had same problem the first try. So stopped trying till Bruce reported it works without problem. Did you do?:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ci/unstable-daily

That was my mistake first time. With:
$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/astrometry.net
$ sudo apt-get update

and then installing is enough. Not sure if you can undo what you did or you will have to install everything again. I hope this helps.
8 years 8 months ago #4529

Hi, gus_,

Thanks for coming back.
I stopped trying exactly for the reason you mentioned. In case of failure one need to re-install the OS from scratch.
I rigorously installed the OS, the ntp service, the headless running and documented all in detail.

About the headless running of the RPi2 I found some issues with the hdmi lines as you and others suggested.

I am now going to burn an image first before continuing.
What still bothers me is the network aspect. The ideal would be to install an dhcp server on the RPi2 handing out static ip-addresses to the Tablet and preferably to an iPhone5 with internet connection. I read about the RPi as router but am afraid tha my wifi-dongle is not allowing sending out the wifi-beakon signal. Ii could run the wifi hotspot on the tablet or iPhone but cannot hand out static IP addresses, being very enoying if you run headless.
Any thoughts on this?

I'ĺl come back with test results on kstars-bleeding and having burned an image.

Regards,

stefan
8 years 8 months ago #4530

Hi Gus_
I tried again with your suggestions and it works well!
I expected to find after installing kstars-bleeding a new kstars package to be launched with a different command as usual, but that is not the case.
After your instructions kstars needs to be installed and updated and the result of launching kstars is a new version 2.3.0. I assume that this is the famous kstars-bleeding.
Works very well but found some minor issues with the data add-on.
When launching kstars the issue with updating the Supernova data base disappeared but the downloading of the XML file for the add-on failed.
I am very happy with Ubuntu-Mate so far. Very robust and not blocking or crashing.
In the near future I would like to test the RPi IR camera being easy to install under Raspbian but let see what comes out with MATE.

Next steps in my automation project is now the ad-hoc network originating from the RPi2 and next I still need to find out how to emergency stop in a correct way the
RPi2 by removing a USB Memory stick.

I'll keep you posted!
Regards,

Stefan
8 years 8 months ago #4538

Time to create page: 0.736 seconds