INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Raspberry image download duration?

• Thank you received: 34
Thank you, Large Fine Jpeg works now, but it take exactly the same time to arrive like an raw/fits ~50 seconds. So this makes no difference to me with the exeption raw/fits high dynamik range vs. low dynamic range with jpeg comression artifacts. "Medium Fine jpeg" arrives in ~22s. "Small fine Jpeg" arrives in 13 seconds and I think I will stick with this. I did not yet try to use fits/jpeg in focusing/astrometry and how jpeg/compression artifacts may influence it , waiting for clear sky!
--= human, without Windows™ =--
pls excuse my bad english! :)
8 years 7 months ago #4855

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I found an workaround to get images as fast as directly connected to the client :cheer: .

My last decision was simply to connect the dslr back to my kstars client and combine multiple indiservers because I just don't wanted to loose the fits preview. This of cause is no solution for everyone who has its setup real remote and not like me with kstars client and mount in the same room.

But then accidental I just stumbled upon the usbip driver in the modern linux kernel. It can redirect any connected usb device from the raspberryPi to any client pc running kstars.

So I plugged my usb mount and dslr back in the raspberryPi.
  • Then on the raspi I exported those two with usbip.
  • Then I imported them on the kstars client with usbip and my mount & dslr registered as if the would be normal local usb devices.
  • Then I started one indiserver on the raspberryPi with the focuser only.
  • Then on the kstars client I started indiserver with the raspberryPi-server AND mount & dslr driver as if they would be connected locally but the are via usbip.
Then I can start kstars and connect to the local server and everything works and image acquisition (fits) is fast as HELL B)
My first test running an hour is stable until now. It runs via LAN but I dont know how latency will influence usbip over Wlan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Pasi Sarkkinen
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by pauledd.
8 years 7 months ago #4961

Great!! I I am curious how WLAN would affect this setup as well.
8 years 7 months ago #4964

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Raspberry image download duration?

did you by any chance find the time to test USB/IP via WLAN?
8 years 5 months ago #5733

Yes, it varies from totally unusable to quite good depending on my wifi setup/enviroment. I used the EDIMAX EW-7811Un wlan stick and my TPLINK TL-WDR3600 Router driven by DD-WRT with very short distange, 4 Meters with glass door inbetween. Before you do your actual astro-session you should double check latency (ping) and speed test the connection. I had tests where the ping jumped between 120 and 2000ms and transferspeed stalled at 80KB/s wich made it unusable. I had to set my wifi "channel width" to "WIDE HT40 (40MHz)". 7MiB/s was the best value I got. OccasionallyI also have complete freezes of my USBIP client where kstars is running. I was not yet able to find the cause of this. My last 5 sessions where without any disturbances. Indi just run as expected.
It would be nice to hear from someone else denying any freezes on the client side.

greets
Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, a Guest
8 years 5 months ago #5734

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Raspberry image download duration?

Thanks for your update, maybe I find some time to play around with USB/IP this weekend.
8 years 5 months ago #5739

• Thank you received: 19
Is there something special that needs to be done to get USB/IP running on the PI? I haven't had much luck with it.

--Jon
8 years 4 months ago #6056

I can only speak for gentoo linux on raspi and I compile all from scratch.
First you need usbip enabled in the kernel.
> Device Drivers > USB support
<M> USB/IP support
<M> VHCI hcd # Should be enabled on the client that wants to use the usb-ports
<M> Host driver # Should be enabled on the Raspi / or the device that shares the usb-ports

I dont know how Raspbian/Debian handles this but google should give you an hint:
raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/...eless-usb-controller

Then you need to install the Userspace utilities typically called "usbip"
8 years 4 months ago #6057

Thanks, Yes I already googled and it looks like i'd need to cross compile a new kernel....Maybe another time. Thanks for the input....

--Jon
8 years 4 months ago #6058

Turns out I didn't need to compile anything. I installed the usbip package on the pi without much difficulty. The problem was on the kubuntu client side. It seems the usbip package is an older version that won't work with the usbip package on the pi. However, the newer version is available with linux-tools-generic. After that, things worked out just fine.

I do have some issues connecting via wifi with the mount but the canon dslr connects just fine and, as was mentioned, it's very fast.

I am not too linux savy so bear with me. I have some problems understanding how you are starting the raspberrypi server with indiserver:

I understand that you are running the focuser via the server with indiserver. Where i am getting lost is how do you start everything as local on the kstars client. For example, i start my mount via the server with indiserver. No problem. Now, the dslr shows as local on the kstars client so I could just choose that and leave the local radio button selected. How do I get connected to the indiserver instance of the mount while still local? Sorry to be so dense.........

--Jon
8 years 4 months ago #6064

I got everything running! No separate instances of indiserver at all. I have all of my devices connected to a powered usb hub which is the same one powering the pi. I just exported all of the devices (zeq25, canon dslr, moonlite (arduino) focuser, orion ssag) and ran them as if they were local. All of this on the default ralink RT5370 Wireless Adapter. So far, image downloads are less than 2 seconds and everything else responds fine.
Looking forward to getting this out under some actual stars!

--Jon
8 years 4 months ago #6072

Very nice to hear! While doing usbip I had some kernel freezes on the client side, but not recently. I just updated to kernel 4.3.0 and will test further, but some other projects and the sh***y wheather are delaying my astro stuff :dry:
8 years 4 months ago #6076

Time to create page: 0.491 seconds