INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Clestron mounts and hibernate

• Thank you received: 76
Just wondering, has anyone found some way of hibernating (and waking from hibernation) celestron mounts.
I have a CPC1100 and would like to use INDI for remote use. I'd like to power off the mount but I think I need to enable hibernation first....
I know I can do this with the nexremote software on windows, but I'd prefer some way to do this from linux and eventually script it.
Has anyone managed to reverse engineer the serial traffic that happens when hibernate is enabled?

Thanks,
Derek
8 years 7 months ago #4917

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The closest thing to what you're asking is the Celestron driver under development by Paweł (github.com/jochym/nexstar-evo)

Pawel, any update on the driver?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derek
8 years 7 months ago #4931

• Thank you received: 57
The AUX protocol and my additions to deciphering it is indeed described at the mentioned address.

I have tested the driver several times and it basically seems to work.
Unfortunately the communication is not very robust yet - thus I strongly advise against
using it remotely. But with "adult supervision" it should be ready to test. I am preparing
Raspberry Pi compilation of the system to make a platform for better testing the alignment part.
I think it is ready to be tested by some brave soul. I will gladly help with setup and testing.
It also needs a better config handling and implementation of serial communication (wired).
For CPC scopes this will be required. I need to build myself a serial to AUX cable to test it myself
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derek
8 years 7 months ago #4935

Replied by Derek on topic Clestron mounts and hibernate

Jochym / Krno,
Thanks guys, this looks promising.
Derek
8 years 7 months ago #4936

• Thank you received: 2
I'd love to test this.

I have a working wireless to serial converter for my AVX running on raspberry pi. This allows direct connections to the aux port, I can run NexRemote with it without a handset plugged in to the mount.

This is based on a modified ser2net (needs special rs485-like RTS handling), an FTDI FT232R-based usb TTL serial module and a custom cable based on the publicly available design from Ken Hutchinson. I've eliminated the rs232 line driver as the signal levels are all TTL but the HC125 buffer is still needed. The cable design reproduces the functionality of the PC port of the discontinued Celestron AUX port accessory.

I believe your current software is designed to connect to SkyQ link over wifi?

Having worked out the peculiar way you need to handle serial traffic to the aux port I wouldn't mind working on a serial interface for this.

Could somebody obtain some output traces from an actual SkyQ? I want to see if I can make my WiFi serial adapter work with SkyPortal and the other SkyQ link apps, because I'm not hearing a lot of positive reports about the reliability of SkyQ..
I'd love to see a full dialogue beginning with $$$ <pause> get e as well as the exact output when you do a $$$<pause>load config. I can't seem to convince the SkyQ link configurator that I'm an actual SkyQ for whatever reason.
8 years 7 months ago #4970

• Thank you received: 57
I have dumped the comm by listening on the same channel with the PC.
I have some traces saved. Please find attached transcribed dumps of
conversations named in the filename. If you need further explanation/data
contact me. You can find all my exploratory work on github: github.com/jochym/nexstar-evo
Do you have a description/schematic of your interface? I would be interested
in replicating something like this. I just bought a RasPi2 to act as a controller
and partially replace horribly flimsy wifi interface of the NexStar. If it would be
possible to force the tablet app to communicate via the RasPi it would be even better.
The wifi interface on nexstar is a great idea but it is badly implemented.
Unreliable, not fully following the docs (e.g. you cannot switch to AP client mode).
OTOH with my laptop as a controller I was able to make it function fairly well.
So the problem is rather weak tablet wifi + weak AP in SkyQ. I am thinking
about turning RasPi into intelligent controller with much better WiFi etc.
Right now I have managed to compile indi and astrometry.net on it and had it
control the mount the same way i did with the laptop.
I will be grateful if you try to test my driver - there is no substitution for external testers.
Let me know how can I help.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Paweł. Reason: Add repository reference
8 years 7 months ago #4972
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 2
Thanks for those traces. In spite of the fact that they just show the escape sequences at the start of the dialogue they're oddly helpful.
Basically they confirm that Celestron hasn't modified too much of the WiFly dialogue. I suspect their custom firmware is mainly in aid of the special handling needed for the aux bus.

I wouldn't mind on of NexStar configurator or SkyPortal actually trying to set up a SkyQ, since I can't figure out how to coerce SkyPortal into accepting arbitraryTCP/IP configuration. I guess that's specifically to stop people like me from using it without buying a SkyQ, since it's effectively just a free rebranded SkySafari plus with the mount and alignment model for Celestron scopes built in. As I already own a copy of SkySafari I don't feel particularly guilty about trying to fake it out.

My cable is basically this: PC Cable for NexRemote on Aux Port but with the MAX232 replaced with one of these: FTDI USB TTL Serial Module . I put a SO14 74HC125 on a little breakout board and wired everything with soldered jumpers. Instead of making the cable an integral part of this assembly, I just used an RJ11 socket with trailing wires. I then shoved the whole thing in a large (1.5") adhesive-coated heatshrink tube with the RJ11 at one end and the FTDI board at the other.

This is only useful for connecting to the aux port directly. For any scope with a 'PC' port (NexStar GPS or CPC for instance) you need one of these (they are commercially available from both Celestron and a number of third parties): PC Port Serial Cable .

It looks like a simpler cable without the HC125 buffer will work on the NexStar 'i' series telescopes: NexStar i Series Cable
It appears these use pin 1 on the RJ11 connector as CTS. This pin is apparently unused on the AS-GT and other equatorial mounts.

The HC125 acts as a buffer/line isolator. It disconnects the TXD line from the aux bus when RTS is deasserted. You have to set RTS high during every command and then immediately lower it to get the response from the motor control board, like controlling an RS485 half-duplex bus. It also messes with pin 6, which is labeled 'drop'. This is grounded whenever RTS is high and pulled up to 5v otherwise.

Note that TTL logic levels are reversed for serial signals: RTS is asserted at 0v and deasserted at 5v.

Unfortunately i don't think you can use the TXDEN signal from the FT232R (normally used for controlling an RS485 transceiver) as that will twiddle the bus isolator on every byte sent. If the motor control board doesn't implement the bus arbitration in hardware (and from what I've seen of the control board it's all done in a Kinetis MCU on the AVX) this might generate enough interrupts to crash or confuse it. You might be able to use it if you build in a monostable of some sort, but that's even more complicated than the cable I built.
8 years 7 months ago #4976

In the meantime I've come up with a workaround to remotely hibernate and wake the scope. Only tested once under night sky but its working pretty well.
Its basically a robot to press a sequence of buttons on the handset!! Currently getting called from a shell script.
github.com/dokeeffe/nexstar-hibernate-robot
8 years 6 months ago #5411

• Thank you received: 0
I've done quite a bit of testing of the SkyQ dongle, i got one after my nexstar handcontroller died for no apparent reason, messing up my testing & observing plans that i took a week of vacation for... I might be a tad biased against the nexstar handcontroller....

On the reliability of the device:
I've had 0 (zero) issues with connectivity, not in wifi client or in wifi AP mode (they use their own confusing terms for this). As far as I can tell all these complaints come down to range. The dongle just has really low transmit power, plan accordingly, the wifi signal can only travel a few meters (keep it under 3 - 5 meters tops, in my setup it's less then 1.5 meter, and it's setup as a regular wifi client that connects to the AP in my electronics rack whenever you switch it on.

On the usefulness in linux:
You still need two windows programs to get to the handcontrol simulator, and since they both rely on virtual com ports, this won't work (and never will) under wine. After talking to one of the engineers it seems like there might be java versions released at some point, but neither him or anyone else i asked there could tell me when that will happen. I think it's the engineers dream, but management doesn't care, to illustrate: both the support dept. and the engineer i talked to mentioned that they hardly ever have people asking about linux, it's just not on their radar, at all.

On the configuration:
You have to choose to configure the dongle either using the pc software or through the accompanying mobile app, which i found pretty buggy to use under wine, and under windows it wasn't much better. I've never managed to use the mobile app for any configuring, and on top of that, you can't even set your own ip address to connect to in the app (they might have changed that by now, they sounded receptive to that change when i pointed out this is limiting the usefullness of the app for no reason).

On the potential of the skyq:
It's pretty awesome i think, the skyq dongle is the product of modern technology also found in smartphones, unlike the handcontrollers which seem like they haven't changed much since the early 90's. They seem a lot less affected by the environment as well, which matters *a lot* in remote observatories. All that's needed at this time is a driver that lets you set the ip address of the skyq, and connect to it, then everyone can proceed to unceremoniously bin the handcontroller.

just my 2 cents...
8 years 6 months ago #5423

Celestron have got back to me with details of the command to hibernate and wake the scope!!!
Turns out to be more straightforward than I imagined.....
These are the serial commands to send to the handset.

Hibernate : x
Wake (from Hibernate) : y

I'm going to modify' the current indi celestron driver to add these into the park/un-park functions.

However I'm not sure if this is the best place / way to do it? Anyone any better suggestions? I dont want to lock myself out of future driver updates by having my hacked version....
Maybe it should be kept seperate from the driver? Not sure....

Thanks,
Derek
The following user(s) said Thank You: Magnus
8 years 6 months ago #5488

this command was introduced for which firmware version?
8 years 6 months ago #5489

Actually thats a good question! I'll ask. I just got the email from them 2hrs ago.
8 years 6 months ago #5490

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds