INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Xagyl filter wheel

• Thank you received: 0

Xagyl filter wheel was created by Richard

I am new to INDI and am setting up my system for the first time. I have a SBIG ST10 with CFW8 filter wheel which I understand is supported, however I also have an 8 position Xagyl filter wheel that I would like to use (as it would let me have both LRBG filters as well as narrowband all loaded at the same time).

Is it currently possible to get the Xagyl filter wheel working under INDI ?
8 years 6 months ago #5500

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 21

Replied by Philippe on topic Xagyl filter wheel

First question: Is your Xagyl wheel is identified correctly within Linux when you plugin it on your USB port? could be check easy with 'dmesg' command on linux terminal.
Anyway, I've attached to this thread the user manual I've found on Xagylastro site of this wheel for V3.x. From the page 17 we could find the procol for (all ?) commands. Maybe someone could read it and say if another existing Indi driver already use the same protocol.

- Anybody knows it?

Otherwise it shouldn't be to much difficult to write the driver for it as this is a native text communication protocol, as far as I see in the document.
Best regards

Philippe
Philippe Besson
Skywatcher HEQ5, Televue 101-IS, Takahashi FS-60CB
Focus Boss II with OptecInc TCF-S focuser and Starlight Instruments HSM20 handy stepper motor
Guiding camera ZWO ASI120MM
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
8 years 6 months ago #5502
Attachments:

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Xagyl filter wheel

Can you connect to it via minicom? If you can, type in i8 and let me know if you get anything, it's suppose to return the maximum number of slots.
8 years 6 months ago #5504

• Thank you received: 46

Replied by Markku on topic Xagyl filter wheel

Hi forum..

I have some code I modified to work with Xagyl wheel with 5 filters but I think that making just a couple of changes will work with any number of filters.
The code is a bit messy but works and Jasem can propably make it clean.

File Attachment:

File Name: indi-xagyl.tar.gz
File Size:16 KB

ps. Don't laugh too much, I'm not a coder :)
/Markku
8 years 6 months ago #5505
Attachments:

Thanks, I already began writing the driver yesterday, but wanted to get confirmation that serial communication works. Do you have XAGYL wheel as well?

EDIT: Thanks, looking at your code it looks like that newline is part of the command and response. I wanted to know that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markku
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
8 years 6 months ago #5507

I have a Xagyl wheel the first version with serial interface.
As I remember the newline character is also returned so that is correct.
My filterwheel broke for some unknown reason for about 6 months ago so I wrote code for a Arduino and connected to Xagyl wheel because I couldn't get a replacement pcb from them :( but propably will buy a 8-slot wheel later on.
There is one thing I thought about, the slot position finetune should be made using Windows using the software that comes with the wheel because I never found out how to do that in the driver, you propably see that in my code.

Thanks Jasem to make a driver of my mess.. :)
/Markku
8 years 6 months ago #5509

What's the range of the calibration offset? It's say PX Offset XX? Is it 0 to 99? Is there negative to distinguish clockwise from counter clockwise? Documentation is unclear on this.
8 years 6 months ago #5516

I'm not really shure but my notes say the values should be from -99 to 99 for PX Offset, maybe rmuhlack could doublecheck that by sending the command I6 to the wheel ?? maybe the values is visible in the Windows app too ?? ( I just used it once to make the first calibration)
8 years 6 months ago #5518

Ok, alpha driver complete and ready for testing. Please turn on DEBUG and LOGGING _before_ you connect, then specify serial port in Options, then connect and proceed normally. It should be available in the PPA tomorrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markku, Richard
8 years 6 months ago #5519

I'm impressed!!
Thank you!!
8 years 6 months ago #5521

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by Robert Barlow on topic Xagyl filter wheel

Just to let you know that I have a Xagyl wheel and have successfully written a driver. I found the protocol very straightforward to support and have had no problems with the driver.

I'd share the code; although its ugly and I am sure you will produce a driver that is far better integrated with INDI than mine.
8 years 6 months ago #5530

It would be great if you can test the INDI driver which should be in the PPA now.
8 years 6 months ago #5531

Time to create page: 0.926 seconds