INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars and Ekos built for Android

• Thank you received: 5
Hi,
Having gathered some experience with building KStars for Linux on RPi2, and knowing that Android is based on a Linux kernel (if I understood well), I wonder whether someone on this forum ever tried to port KStars to Android?

As can be read on this forum we come to the conclusion that an RPi2 quad-core with 1GB ram is probably at its limits when running KStars.
Modern Tablets have also quad cores (even two quad core processors) and 3GB ram. KStars would find in a tablet sufficient resources if it could be compiled for Android.

Thanks in advance for your views about this topic.

Stefan
8 years 3 months ago #6558

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 38
Why not install linux in your tablet and install kstars ?
8 years 3 months ago #6561

• Thank you received: 5
This is what I wanted to do one year ago. I gave up due to the rooting issue. I got a bad feeling becoming illegal, loosing guarantee on the tablet once hacking it...
All this problems for achieving a very sound and genuin objective...

Having KStars with Ekos on a tablet but running the indiserver on a RPi-type machine near the gear to be controlled loks a very much optimised solution. The tablet is running the cpu and memory intensive applications but is good in image/video like processing and has an autonomy of 8hours. The other tasks may be energy intensive and are powered independently.
8 years 3 months ago #6562

We're considering launching a GSoC 2016 project to make a light version of KStars available on mobile/tablet but nothing is concrete yet.
8 years 3 months ago #6564

• Thank you received: 3
I have Kstars and ekos on raspi 3 with Indi web manager running. From my tablet I can start the Indi drivers and have installed Kstars light for android. In connecting to my Canon Eos 1000D I can activate live view but when I try to take an exposure I am prompted for image info. I
try to add pixel size of 5.70 but it is not accepted. All other values are also rejected so I can't get any further. What are some values to try?
Cheers Yabby
6 years 11 months ago #16433

prompted by what? KStars Lite?
6 years 11 months ago #16437

Time to create page: 0.637 seconds