INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] Celestron slew rate with Joystick

• Thank you received: 2
Hello,

I am controlling my Celestron Nextar 8SE mount with a joystick. I know that in the Telescope simulator for example, it is possible to set the slew rate, to park/unpark the mount or abort the motion with buttons or axes of the joystick. However, I don't see those capabilities in the indi_celestron_gps driver, I can only set the "N/S/W/E Control".

In the file inditelescope.cpp, at the line 124, I see that:
  124     controller->mapController("MOTIONDIR", "N/S/W/E Control", INDI::Controller::CONTROLLER_JOYSTICK, "JOYSTICK_1");
  125     if (nSlewRate >= 4)
  126         controller->mapController("SLEWPRESET", "Slew Rate", INDI::Controller::CONTROLLER_JOYSTICK, "JOYSTICK_2");
  127     if (CanAbort())
  128         controller->mapController("ABORTBUTTON", "Abort", INDI::Controller::CONTROLLER_BUTTON, "BUTTON_1");
  129     if (CanPark())
  130     {
  131         controller->mapController("PARKBUTTON", "Park", INDI::Controller::CONTROLLER_BUTTON, "BUTTON_2");
  132         controller->mapController("UNPARKBUTTON", "UnPark", INDI::Controller::CONTROLLER_BUTTON, "BUTTON_3");
  133     }

And in the line 227 of the file celestrongps.cpp, the parameter nSlewRate is initialized to 9 through the method SetTelescopeCapability:
SetTelescopeCapability(cap,9);

So the nSlewRate is higher than 4, so it should be possible to assign the joystick buttons/axes to the slew rate control?

If I want to add this capability, do I have to edit the C++ files, or is it possible to do it only with XML files? I have looked at the default XML config file of the celestron driver, and the part concerning the joystick control is the following:
<newTextVector device='Celestron GPS' name='JOYSTICKSETTINGS'>
  <oneText name='MOTIONDIR'>
      JOYSTICK_3
  </oneText>
</newTextVector>

So I have tried to add the button controls:
<newTextVector device='Celestron GPS' name='JOYSTICKSETTINGS'>
  <oneText name='MOTIONDIR'>
      JOYSTICK_3
  </oneText>
  <oneText name='SLEW_GUIDE'>
      BUTTON_5
  </oneText>
  <oneText name='SLEW_CENTERING'>
      BUTTON_3
  </oneText>
  <oneText name='SLEW_FIND'>
      BUTTON_4
  </oneText>
  <oneText name='SLEW_MAX'>
      BUTTON_6
  </oneText>
  <oneText name='ABORT_MOTION'>
      BUTTON_2
  </oneText>
</newTextVector>

I do not get any error when loading the new XML config file, but the new options do not show up in the Celestron tab.
7 years 10 months ago #8493

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

With tomorrow's update, you'll get full joystick functionality in Celestron GPS driver.
7 years 10 months ago #8504

• Thank you received: 2
I just tested, works great, thank you!
7 years 10 months ago #8516

Time to create page: 0.693 seconds