INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EQMod tty read and write error

• Thank you received: 9
Hi,
I encountered an issue when trying to connect an EQ6 (EQMod) to a Raspberry Pi (Raspbian) via a powered USB 2.0 hub. It works fine for some time but then suddenly gives these errors in the INDI control panel:

2016-10-19T10:43:48: Disconnected from EQMod Mount.
2016-10-19T10:43:48: Error: -> tty write failed, check connection: Error: unrecognized error code
2016-10-19T10:43:47: Disconnected from EQMod Mount.
2016-10-19T10:43:47: Error: -> tty read failed, check connection: Timeout error

The write error and disconnect messages then repeat infinitely and the mount doesn't react until disconnecting and connecting again from Ekos or the INDI control panel. After some time, the error occurs again. It always begins with the timeout error, followed by the write errors. On a Pi 2, it takes a long time for the error to occur (one or half an hour) on a Pi Zero it occurs within minutes after connecting to the mount from Ekos.
When connecting the mount to a USB port on the Pi 2 directly, the error doesn't seem to occur (tested ~4-5 hours during observation).
I already checked the permission stuff: adding user to dialout, serial port mapping and changing permissions of ttyUSB, but to no avail.
Attached you find the verbose mount log and the serial log, they don't seem to contain much more information on the errors however. The driver output is quite long but also contains the messages.
7 years 5 months ago #10914
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Without looking at this, it looks like a typical power problem. Is the mount itself powered by a battery or AC? Let's eliminate that aspect first.
7 years 5 months ago #10927

Replied by Adam on topic EQMod tty read and write error

The mount is powered from AC (12V, 2250mA adapter) and it seems to work when connected to a USB port on the Pi 2 itself. The hub seems to be ok too, at least the cameras work fine with it.
7 years 5 months ago #10931

In that case,

1. Change USB cable
2. Change USB ports AND/OR try removing any hubs and connect directly.

Does it work with other software?
7 years 5 months ago #10932

Replied by Adam on topic EQMod tty read and write error

I tried it with Skychart and it gives the same errors. Changing USB cable and ports didn't help either. I had some successful nights of observation when connecting the mount to the Pi 2 directly, my plan was to use the Pi Zero however and that only has one micro-USB port. It also seems to be independent of driver or indi version as the issue is present for some months now.
Unfortunately, I don't have another USB hub here to check whether it depends on that.
7 years 5 months ago #10935

Did you try connecting it directly to your PC (No Pi, no USB hub)? If that produces same thing then try it on EQMod on Windows, this would then eliminate whether it is driver/hardware issues, but it is highly unlikely a driver issue from the looks of it.
7 years 5 months ago #10942

• Thank you received: 226
I have had the same problem with a USB interface as well as over a Bluetooth adapter I've made.
7 years 1 week ago #15350

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I had the same problem, Usb - Direct to Eq6. Ekos connect but finish with tty error.

Attach Ekos log maybe can help,

Hardware is working ok, no poblem with Win eqmod

Thanks in advance
Jordi
6 years 11 months ago #15886

no log is attached.
6 years 11 months ago #15914

• Thank you received: 0
Sorry

Attached again

Thanks in advance
6 years 11 months ago #15918
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 37
I use my Skywatcher Virtuoso mount with handmade serial-to-USB or bluetooth cable to connect with a RPi3. My experiences:

- The Bluetooth is not reliable enough to work with INDI. I think this is a general HW issue. You really have to find Bluetooth components with trial-and-error which work 100% reliable together.
- My wired cable keeps disconnecting and reconnecting the serial line after a few hours. Most likely because of the cheap USB-to-serial HW from ebay which most likely a fake Chinese counterfeit replica.

I think the connection problems are mostly likely related to HW all the time, not much to do on INDI side.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Csaba Kertesz.
6 years 11 months ago #15964

• Thank you received: 87

Replied by nMAC on topic EQMod tty read and write error

I am having this issue too with EQMOD using a pluszmis BT adapter on RPI3. Sometimes is retrieves those messages and can't connect to mount.
It looks like the generated comm port (rfcomm0) is always busy with some process and it's not free to accept a connection. if I insist on connection it
eventually connects. I think this is related to some kind of timeout reading data from the com port. Once it's connected it's pretty rock solid.

I would suggest a timeout / reconnect option, that would be great too and it would solve some problems, not only on EQMOD but also on other drivers where connections are not established on the first time. Using the new option to SEARCH for Comm Ports solves the issue most of the time. When I am really stuck, killing and restarting the server also seems to solve it. I don't know if this really the same issue as reported.

As you can see in the first time it tries to connect it fails, the second time, it does connect correctly:

2017-04-04T19:48:04.329 - DEBG - EQMod Mount : "Error: -> tty read failed, check connection: Timeout error "
2017-04-04T19:48:04.371 - DEBG - Ekos: EQMod Mount is disconnected.
2017-04-04T19:48:04.372 - DEBG - Ekos: "EQMod Mount is disconnected."
2017-04-04T19:48:15.565 - DEBG - Ekos: "Connecting INDI devices..."
2017-04-04T19:48:15.672 - DEBG - EQMod Mount : "Successfully connected to EQMod Mount. "
2017-04-04T19:48:15.676 - DEBG - EQMod Mount : "EQMod Mount is online. "
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by nMAC.
6 years 11 months ago #15965
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.869 seconds