INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Malfunctioning indi_temma driver

• Thank you received: 20
I have Indi configured on a RPi3 and connected to a Tak EM-200.

File Attachment:

File Name: IndiTemmaD...rLog.rtf
File Size:45 KB

Any attempt to slew, sync or park the mount fails. I always power on the mount and start Indi with the mount having the counterweights down and the scope pointing north. RA and DEC motors respond to commands but the mount moves to completely random positions. I have tried to use Cartes du Ciel and Cloudmakers AstroTelescope but the results are the same.
Even issuing commands directly into the Indi Control Panel bears the same issues.

In both Cartes Du Ciel and AstroTelescope I noticed that mount RA and DEC positions are always both showing as 00:00:00 and never change even when I try to slew somewhere.
Also the Eq. Coordinates property in the driver is set to 00:00:00 and never changes. Could this be the root cause of the issue? During some of my attempts I've seen the following message appearing in the Indi driver control panel: SLEW_CENTERING is not a member of TELESCOPE_SLEW_RATE property.

If it can be of any help here attached is the output of the Indi server -vv (verbose) mode after having attempted a slew to RA 00:00:01and having aborted the motion to avoid the scope hitting the tripod legs. I could not find a Debugging property in the Driver itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
7 years 3 months ago #13327
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 46
Some questions. Are you building from sources, or loading from a repository somewhere ? It's a pi, so I'm assuming a serial usb of some type. Are drivers for that gadget loaded correctly and working? What port does it show up at , ie /dev/ttyUSB??

if the eq co-ords are reporting 00:00:00 out of the gate, it almost certainly means there isn't a working serial connection between the mount and the driver.

My first suspicions would be an issue with permissions on the serial port, second would be cabling.

What client programs were you using when you saw the SLEW_CENTERING compaint messages ? That message is indicative of a client trying to set a slew rate that is not defined for this mount.
7 years 2 months ago #13332

Thank you for your reply Gerry. Here are some more details/answers:

- I'm running Ubuntu Mate on the RPi3 and I've installed Indi and KStars using Jasem apt repository.
- I assume I have the latest Indi and driver versions configured using 'apt-get update' followed by 'apt-get upgrade'.
- The RPi3 connects to the mount using a well tested (using other applications/computers on my EM-200) FTDi serial to USB adapter.
- Driver is configured to use /dev/ttyUSB0 at 19200 baud.

After additional testing I can definitely say that issue is limited to the RPi itself. Today I successfully used Indi Server and indi_temma on my macbook (Peter Polakovic Cloudmakers version) directly connected to the mount on /dev/cu.usbserial-AI02CT1N at 19200 baud. Cartes Du Ciel worked flawlessly and driver parameters on Indi control panel were reporting coordinates in sync with Cartes Du Ciel.

I'm very keen to understand what is going wrong with the RPi. That is my preferred configuration since it allows me to operate telescope and all other gear remotely. Is /dev/ttyUSB0 a correct parameter? How can I check for permission issues on the serial port?

Thank you for any possible help or hint.
Giorgio

P.S. error 'SLEW_CENTERING is not a member of TELESCOPE_SLEW_RATE property' was being logged when trying to use the Cloudmakers AstroTelescope client. At this point it seems it is a secondary issue.
7 years 2 months ago #13340

One more thing, here is the output of 'lsusb' from the RPi3:

giorgio@astropi3:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMC9514 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
7 years 2 months ago #13342

• Thank you received: 46
I dont have a mount set up to check things here, and it'll be at least a month before I can set anything up with mine, the mount is in storage and the office is under renovations.

to check what your available serial ports are on the pi, just do this:-

ls -al /dev/ttyUSB*

in that output, check permissions on the serial port. If in doubt, try running your indi server as root and see if it talks correctly then. If it does, almost certainly it's an issue with permissions on the serial port. If it's a default install, the permissions on the serial port are likely looking like this:-

crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Dec 29 19:36 /dev/ttyUSB0

That's a character device, owned by root, allows read/write to root and the group dialout. It's common that folks are not part of the dialout group, easily fixed

sudo adduser {username} dialout

Once you've done that, username will now be part of the dialout group, log out, back in, and now that username should have access to the serial port.
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Gerry Rozema.
7 years 2 months ago #13394

Thanks again for your help.

I've tried running Indi as root using:
sudo indiserver -vvv indi_temma but the issue is still there. Checked permissions for /dev/ttyUSB0 and they are:

giorgio@astropi3:~$ ls -al /dev/ttyUSB*
crw-rw-rw- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Dec 30 23:25 /dev/ttyUSB0

I've also added user 'giorgio' to the dialout group but again, the problem persists. I'm tempted to rebuild the RPi from scratch to see if the issue was caused by upgrading from Indi 1.2 to 1.3 or during any of the other updates...
7 years 2 months ago #13421

Can you communicate with the mount using minicom? Also, under Windows?
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 2 months ago #13457

Hello Jasem, I'm afraid I do not have a version of minicom to try. On the other hand I confirm I can use the mount with with the same cable under Mac Os and the Cloudmakers version of Indi running on the same Mac. The issue seems to be restricted to Raspberry Pi. I have the impression that Jean-Christophe is having my same issue. See is thread on this same forum: indilib.org/forum/general/1782-problems-...takahashi.html#13660

He also noticed that RA and DEC position cannot be read from the Pi.

Thank you and regards,
Giorgio
7 years 2 months ago #13661

Time to create page: 0.364 seconds