INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

skysensor2000PC -Error reading RA/DEC not in .logs

• Thank you received: 6
UPDATE 2 - sorry for lengthy post.

I've been working this debug on the Skysensor forum based on Jasem's feedback pointing to an equipment fault (dec motor). I've returned since the root cause again points towards the SS2k driver. Here's the outline logic why:-

I stripped the whole system down looking for electro-mechanic faults, checked each connector/contact, tested for breaks etc but no luck in finding the culprit. I took the motors apart, re-greased mount, adjusted the encoder nuts etc, switched motors but no obvious pointers like broken wires.

So with hope I put it all to the test again. Starting with Raspberry Pi with indiserver; goto, slew, track all fine. Calibrated guiding in indi, great, but lost guide each time at random point with West drift. I could restart guiding by stopping the West drift using the Centering buttons in the indi panel, but each new guide was broken by West drift.

Next I tried PHD on the pi with INDI drivers but with same failure mode.

Next I plugged the USB hub (Lodestar, Skysensor, Canon) into a laptop/ubuntu and ran the whole series of tests again INDI/EKOS first, then PHD and PHD providing guide frames to indi/ekos - same failures with west drfit killing the guide but otherwise everything working fine.

So two different softwares, two PC hardwares with same failure mode. In both setups I tried various software settings and also tried both the ST4 autoguide port and guide via skysensor. By this time I'd also ticked off some other failure candidates like the USB serial convertor (seems OK) and found from PHD logs that polar alignment was OK (sub-minute) but with a large dec backlash (whih could be adjusted).

As desperate last step went back to Windows system that worked for many years on the same laptop/usb hub using PHD/Ascom ss2k driver and BANG, first time calibration then several guide sessions of ~0.3 rms guiding over 10mins. I can just tell that the system is solid and working correctly and would guide all night. I also tested with Astroart both using ascom skysensor drivers.

For me the above seems to point to the indi ss2k driver, it is one item that changed that I can't cross test. I attach
a failed guide log from indi session and pose some questions:-

In log file I see each guide instuction to move (CMG <:M_#>) is followed by a halt (CMD <:Qw#>) :-
CMD <:Mw#>
CMD <:Qw#>
but sometimes the "halt West" is missing and it seems to be associated with a dual-axis guide - see log_20:53:35 @ 2017-02-20T21:47:03.42 and shortly after this guiding is lost (West drift).

a. I guess this sequence is only required for Dec corrections but thought it worth cross checking, could it be source of my troubles, dual-axis guide?

b. What is the correct lodestar binning setting for lodestar when guiding, is it 2x2?
I wondered if somehow the image changed to hires or 1x1 thus causing a misreading of guide corrections.

c. As a test, would guiding in indi work with a LX200 driver?

Any further assistance to resolve this would be appreciated otherwise I'll have to return to the dreaded Windows and a laptop!

AB

PS I attached kstars log since it was easier for me to read let me know if you need a different log or more details.
7 years 1 month ago #14677
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1. If you have Lodestar, why are you using LX200 to guide?!!
2. Yes optimal Lodestar binning 2x2
3. From log, you can see almost no motion from N/S commands, but good motion from W/E, this is why calibration failed when it tried declination.
7 years 1 month ago #14679

Thanks Jasem, to answer you question:-
1. Lodestar is the new component in this system so initially I tried direct autoguide via ST4 port but it failed and started this whole hunt. Actually I understood it was best to use drivers rather than ST4 autoguide , I got that from PHD best practice, do you recommend ST4 autoguide for indi/ekos? I've been using lx200ss2kpc driver and only asked about lx200 as possible way to test my setup and the lx200ss2kpc driver.

I'll correct my dec backlash by adjusting gears and try all tests again based on your feedback.
Andrew.
7 years 1 month ago #14701

ST4 is the recommended way to guide in ALL platforms as far as I know since you are not encumbered by serial port delays. Mount aka pulse guiding should only be used as a last resort.
7 years 1 month ago #14702

• Thank you received: 165
PHD2 best practices guide recommends pulse-guiding (openphdguiding.org/PHD2_BestPractices.pdf):
• Use ASCOM pulse-guiding instead of ST-4 guiding if mount supports it
• Get the benefits of one less cable and better logging/diagnostics

Serial port delays shouldn't really matter when doing multiple second guide exposures anyway. I've used both, now using pulse guiding to get rid of the extra cable, haven't noticed any particular difference otherwise.
7 years 1 month ago #14707

• Thank you received: 23
Hi,
I have used a setup of a ss2000pc and an SBIG camera for several years in the past. I've always used an ST4 cable between the camera and the ss2000pc. This worked without problems. I think that the pulse-guiding that is referred to in the openphd documentation is the kind that is build into the controller. The ss2000pc does not support pulse-guiding commands.
Best regards,
Camiel
7 years 1 month ago #14728

thanks everyone,

So if I understand the various inputs here :with my setup using the ss2kpc driver will not work since the controller doesn't accept the commands.The only option for guiding is to use the autoguide ST4 port. I'll try this again next clear night.

But why was a ssk2pc driver created if it cannot guide, what advantage does have over say a LX200 driver?

Andrew.
7 years 1 month ago #14745

The SkySensor2000 driver is mostly LX200 driver. I just checked the code and only setting date/time and knowing when slew is complete is different, the rest is identical. If you have SkySensor2000 command set that has additional stuff for guiding, please share it with us.
7 years 1 month ago #14750

Sorry Jasem I don't have any guiding extras for ss2k, I suppose they could be extracted from ASCOM driver?
Looks clear for tonight so I'll try autoguide ST4 again with a tighened backlash on Dec motor.
7 years 1 month ago #14757

Thanks Camiel,
For the moment, with clear sky, I'm back to Windows/ASCOM system (BYEOS and PHD) which is OK, guides very well but lacks the complete suite that INDI offers. BTW - In this setup SS2K supports pulse-guide via the RS232 using ASCOM driver with PHD.

I tried Lin-Guider and it shows I probably do have an issue with my ST4/Rj12 autoguide cable, I tested with multmeter but cannot find fault. I'll probably invest €20 in professional cable and report back since this combination seems perfect with INDI.

Andrew.
7 years 1 month ago #14834

Update - my SS2K autoguider function is broken.

So I'd like to contribute to editing SS2K driver to make it work with pulsedrive commands as it does in ASCOM. I only have limited programming skills (fortran, Basic, Python and script) but I see the ASCOM script is in VB and updated fairly recenty 2013 (LaurieY 6.1.7b github), so if somebody could hint were I could start, with a little help and if there is wider demand we might finish it! what do you think?.

Surely if one of the LX200 drivers is using pulseguide is it not just a case of editing that for differences? I notice I can select either Indi_lx200generic, basic or classic and I think even 16 worked, anyhow all partially worked at least enabling calibration and short guide until mount runs away,

Actually a SS2K pulseguide is might last hope to use INDI since below is my last failed test on the SS2K and ST4 autoguiding:-

Andrew.

ST4 failure confirmed
I opened the SS2K to check the continuity into the back of the RJ12 socket and it seemed to be OK, I mean no pins were electrically disconnected from the solder board.

There it seems the problem is within the SS2K circuit but I don't have the skills to debug that far. Although I assume the circuit is a fairly simple switch type mimicing the N.S.E.W buttons anyhow for now it's broken.

I tested the whole system again - 1st RS232 with Windows/PHD and Astroart using ASCOM drivers works 100% as per last 10 years. Switching to linux on Raspberry Pi or a PC fails on all SW, OpenPHD/Indi drivers and Sx drivers wil only guide in 2 directions. ST4 fails on Windows and Linux it will only guide in 2 directions.
7 years 2 weeks ago #15098

Pulse Guiding was disabled specifically in the SkySensor2000 driver. If you say it worked for you in LX200, then it should work in SkySensor (it is based on LX200 anyway). It is now re-enabled. So please compile now or wait till tomorrow PPA update and test it. It's the same implementation as the LX200 scopes.
Last edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 2 weeks ago #15105

Time to create page: 1.134 seconds