INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EqMod emulation/implementation (mcmt32)

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,
Still progressing with the indi implementation of my mcmt32 controller. I have the vital functions up and running (sync, slew, ..). now I am considering implementing additional functions (parking, meridian flip management etc...) but I am rebutted by spending a lot of time reinventing the wheel, since :
1. this has already been done (eg in eqmod)
2. its not completely trivial (at least to my eyes).
3. the highest level functions can be abstracted from the underlying, low-level, mount-specific communication protocol.
4. the number of users of mcmt32 is rather small overall, and among those, linux users are...well... maybe I am the only one :)

So I am wondering if the best thing I could do at that point, would not consist in rendering mcmt32 eqmod compatible. This could be done by either :
1. emulating the skywatcher protocol in software in the driver (a kind of on-the-fly translation of the serial i/o messages between indi and the mount controller,
2. rewrite the controller's software (firmware, 2 uc32 units, 1per axis), so that it is skywatcher compatible.
At first glance, my feeling is that 1 is more straightforward (and less risky) than 2, I am still wandering in the skywatcher code at the time.

Before engaging in one of these, I'd like to collect expert advices on this issue, and maybe gather some information about the skywatcher protocol and the minimum subset of commands that must be emulated to work with eqmod.

(Should anyone be interested, the codes for the current library, indi driver and firmware are accessible here :
sourceforge.net/p/mcmt32/svn/HEAD/tree/
and those wondering "wtf is mcmt32", a description is here (french only...)
www.astrosurf.com/mcmtii/m32realisat.htm )

Thank you in advance for valuable advices.
Clear skies...
7 years 1 week ago #15200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0
Hi,

I finally went to the solution of making my mcmt32 mount controller skywatcher-compatible. I am currently rewriting the controller firmware and have some questions regarding some details of the skywatcher protocol ; variable names are those of indi-eqmod/skywatcher.[h|cpp].

InquireGridPerRevolution requests number of microsteps required for a full 360° revolution (correct me if wrong) ;
Following 2 are less clear to me :
What does InquireTimerInterruptFreq expect in return and what is the unit ?
What does InquireHighSpeedRatio expect in return and what is the unit ?

Edit: do periods (in minperiod, maxperiod, setspeed...) refer to the delay between successive microsteps sent to the motor ? What is the unit ?

Thank you in advance,
best
--
fm
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by François Meyer.
7 years 1 week ago #15363

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.420 seconds