INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

FTDI chipset, mount disconnects

• Thank you received: 32
This evening I switched from using a PL chipset to a cable with a FTDI chipset and am experiencing the problem that it is being recognized by Linux (looking at dmesg) and connected to TTYUSB0, but shortly after that it disconnects without a clear reason. On Windows it works fine (though it got assigned COM port18 which EQMod couldn't see, so I forced it to use 16). It might be an old problem, but I couldn't find a clear answer to it. Any ideas?

Thanks.
6 years 10 months ago #17074

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 87
I think that's an old problem, I had it too and it drived me nuts :blink: trying to get my HEQ5 to work.
Made some extensive research and I had to find another solution has there are some linux kernels that do not get along very well with some FTDI chipsets.
Later I found they have specific linux drivers for their hardware but never tried them because in the meantime I changed to bluetooth.
Maybe you can try them for a sanity check! I remember a lot of complaints at the time because of some chipsets. Wich one is yours?

There is also a know issue with the RTS line of FTDI chipstets that also affects shooting:

indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/2129-solved...b-control.html#16014

Driver Page:
www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm

Regards
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by nMAC. Reason: Added driver page
6 years 10 months ago #17082

• Thank you received: 32
Thanks for the info! Weirdly enough, yesterday it just worked. That would indicate a possible connector problem, but firing up Windows after that first failed session connected just fine and it has been stable throughout both sessions. I'm going to see if it happens more often on the Linux side and investigate if so. I do wonder if that change I made in COM port on Windows made it work, but that doesn't sound logical at all to me. I'm using remote USB over IP via the Raspberry Pi when using Windows.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Vincent Groenewold.
6 years 10 months ago #17090

• Thank you received: 87
Well, that's great it's working!
I was thinking the same, the fact you changed the port may also triggered some change on the chip RTS Line and solved it.
6 years 10 months ago #17106

• Thank you received: 11
Thanks for the ftdi link. I found there a technical note www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/Techn...Linux(FT_000081).pdf
there they say at the end: "Additional note for Ubuntu users: It is not possible to access the Virtual COM port in Ubuntu until the “brltty” port is removed. This
is done as follows:
sudo apt-get remove brltty"
After doing this it connected instantly.
I had the connect-disconnect thing on my sbc too (with eqmod adapter). Notebook was working, sbc not same distro on it.
I don't now if I will be missing brltty...

regards

Andreas

edit: I knew I read the brltty thing before: indilib.org/media/kunena/attachments/332...imageforKStars-2.pdf Point 34 missed it when setting up the sbc
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Shepherd
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by Andreas.
6 years 1 week ago #24937

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds