INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Issues with Bluetooth Joystick

• Thank you received: 28
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHi All,

I bought a bluetooth joystick to use with my heq5/eqmod setup under INDI. I want to be able to make minor adjustments to my mount when doing an alignment and to centre the target before an imaging session without touching my laptop.

The controller is a generic BT single stick controller. See ebay site

INDI sees it as VR BOX version 131328 joystick with 2 axes and 15 buttons. It connects ok (see images below), gives me East/West slewing. I have changed the 2 buttons that work to give me faster and slower slew rates

But it wont slew North/South. Also it gives me access to only 2 of the 15 available bottons.

Could this be an issues with the joystick or is it a compatibility issue?

Any suggestions are welcome.

regards
6 years 9 months ago #17144
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

If you go to Joystick --> Monitor, can you control the axis/buttons there? you should see a response if all things work OK.
6 years 9 months ago #17145

Hi Krno, thanks for your quick reply.

So under Joystick -> Monitor, i only see a response there when the joystick is moved west and east (i see 0 degrees axis and a very large positive number and the mount RA moves and 180 degrees and a very large negative number and the RA moves in the opposite direction). In north and south, there are no numbers popping up and the mount does not move. Also, i see button 1 and 2 light up when they are pressed, but when i press other buttons on the controller nothing happens.

regards
6 years 9 months ago #17147

Here are some screen shots

regards
6 years 9 months ago #17151
Attachments:

Can you check with any Linux application if you can access your joystick? also you might have to use a different port , what is the port now?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Petar Milevski
6 years 9 months ago #17162

If i bind the joystick to my laptop BT i can turn the volume up and down using the north/south joystick. So the joystick responds to commands on the 2 aves that dont work on indi.

At the moment I am connected to the following port /dev/input/js0

What other port options do i have??

So for completeness, here is the joystick i am trying to use.

regards
6 years 9 months ago #17163
Attachments:

So i downloaded a tool called jstest-gtk and it sees the joystick. See output in image below....
6 years 9 months ago #17164
Attachments:

Hi krno, so i solved the issue. The controller has 4 switchable modes. They are:

Mode A: Music and Video Mode (one handed), press @A to set this mode on the controller
Mode B: Horizontal Games Mode (two handed), press @B to set this mode on the controller
Mode C: Vertical Game Mode (one handed), press @C to set this mode on the controller
Mode D: Mouse Mode (one handed), press @D to set this mode on the controller

For it to work with INDI, I had to switch to Mode B, everything works perfectly now.

See user manual which did not come with the controller

Thanks for your help

regards
6 years 9 months ago #17166
Attachments:

Hi knro have you considered software for GE mounts that detects which side of Meridian you are and re-allocates drive buttons so that up/down is always up/down and left/right is always left/right. I Never get the buttons right when trying to align or manually target !!! It should be possible because the GE mount/HC sends RA/Dec position back to kstars and autoguide software. 

Has this been considered? Just a question. 

Regards petarm 
6 years 9 months ago #17188

• Thank you received: 109

Replied by Jim on topic Issues with Bluetooth Joystick

Just a quick question, does the BT joystick work remotely as well? That is, if I BT bind it to my inside desktop machine will movement commands get sent to the remote machine through INDI? I am guessing yes because it is just interpreting as a keypress and does not care where they originate from, but wanted to check.

Thanks!
6 years 6 months ago #19494

Time to create page: 0.292 seconds