INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Having trouble with eqmod pointer not matching view of the sky

• Thank you received: 109
note: this is a fresh look at an issue previously mentioned in another thread, but moved here to clean things up.

I have a Sirius EQ-G, and the scope pointer in kstars does not match the location in the sky. That is, when I slew to an object, it is usually off by an amount that seems to be constant, and I am then correcting to where I want with plate solving. I have not been able to find a way to sync the red reticle to the actual sky view, and have just been using it with plate solving and ignoring it. It would be nice to have it in sync. Said a different way, once I am done with centering/solving, the white rectangle that shows my sensor view of the sky is accurate, but the red eqmod reticle will be off.

I tried clearing the alignment data from the AlignData.xml, as well as clearing from the mount model in Ekos and the align info in the INDI control panel and starting fresh. This seems to have moved how far away the eqmod pointer is in kstars, but did not resolve the issue.

video and logs attached
6 years 9 months ago #17214
Attachments:

eqmod-moun...6-08.mkv

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11
Quick observation;

I noticed that in the solving window you have the Solve Action setting to Slew to Target. Can I suggest you change it to Sync.

I would also suggest deleting any solved results and leave yourself with only the best results for your main imaging camera. It may not actually have any impact but it keep everything neat and tidy.
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
6 years 9 months ago #17215

My goal is being achieved with slew to target set, that is, the item I want centered in the camera ends up centered in the camera. If I set to sync, won't the scope stop where the mount sends it and just sync that spot to the alignment model without moving the pov to center the object? I will play with it when the skies allow. Thanks.

If you mean removing those points from the list that are other then properly solved and synced, I have tried that as well. It does not seem to have any effect. My hope would be that if a point was not good, it would not be added to the model and only shows there for reference?
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Jim.
6 years 9 months ago #17216

If you're starting a fresh session use Sync three times to get your alignment modelled and then you should be on the money to slew to subsequent targets.
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
6 years 9 months ago #17217

My scope is put away every night, so I do a fresh setup each time. My steps have been:

1) physically set up the mount and scope
2) polar align using the polar alignment module
3) click the mount model button and have it select two stars and hit the play button in the mount model.
I had been assuming this should set up my mount model, 3 stars might be better for any cone error perhaps?
I then set the resolver to slew to target to get things to center automatically after go-to. My understanding is each successful run of the resolver adds an additional point to the model thereafter.

If you watch the video, after the resolver has successfully solved and slewed, the mount crosshairs are where they should be on the object and the object is centered in the white FoV rectangle. It looks great, then the mount crosshair jumps away from the object, but the mount stays properly pointed and I can image from this point forward without problems.
6 years 9 months ago #17218

Is the solved frame in the correct place?
6 years 9 months ago #17219

yes. The final frame is spot on. After that, the next go-to will be off again, and solving will usually center it perfectly in three iterations of solving just like in the video. It is repeatable every time.
6 years 9 months ago #17220

With the seeming uniformity, I am wondwring about an epoch difference?
6 years 9 months ago #17225

Within the Indi control panel for your mount, is the UTC the same as KStars time?
6 years 9 months ago #17226

I will check this and some other settings tonight and report back. I am not sure yet where to look for any Jxxx issues either.
6 years 9 months ago #17239

I have my scope set up except for cameras since it is still sun up, and am using the CCD simulator. I also upgraded to all the latest kstars/INDI builds. I cannot reproduce the issue with the simulator. The scope is slewing all around and using images from the ccd sim to do plate solving. It is landing exact and syncing as it should without the extra jump when done. I will have to wait for later and hope skies are clear tonight to keep testing.

The UTC time and offset are correct in the control panel, and in sync with the kstars machine. The machine running the scope is also in sync.
6 years 9 months ago #17241

When the jump happens, this is printed in the log: Can not load Align Data File ~/.indi/AlignData.xml: No such file or directory. Should this file be written automatically at some point?
6 years 9 months ago #17243

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds