INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Struggling with SynScan on a Skywatcher Pro EQ-8

• Thank you received: 4
Hi all,

I'm struggling while trying to control a Skywatcher Pro EQ-8 mount. My setup is laptop (Xubuntu 16.04 with Kstars/EKOS) > USB cable > USB to serial DB9 adapter > serial DB9 cable that ends with a plug that looks like a small RJ45, that I plug in the bottom of the SynScan handcontroller.

I made three tests, for which you'll find the logs below. First test: the telescope was running, aligned and observing, had been using with the handcontroller before. I plugged my cables and started INDI. Second test: Same thing except that I went to 'PC Direct Mode' on the remote (Utility Functions > PC Direct Mode). Third test: telescope turned off, I plugged my cables, then turned on the telescope and started INDI.

All of those tests gave the same result: impossible to connect to the device. I tried with different "baud rates", in case, same problem. You'll find the Kstars logs below. I hope these are the right logs but they don't seem too verbose to me. When I try to retrieve the INDI logs with Kstars, I get an error: my ~/.indi/logs folder is empty. Not sure if that's normal...

I could do with some help!

Thanks,

Adrien
6 years 9 months ago #17494
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This is probably related to a common issue for mount drivers recently, please stay tuned for further updates.
6 years 9 months ago #17502

Actually, tomorrow try to get the INDI update. If you put your controller in PC Direct Mode, and then use EQMod driver. Just make sure to run an update tomorrow since there was a problem with EQMod code now that will be fixed by tomorrow.
6 years 9 months ago #17508

• Thank you received: 4
Thank you for the fast answer.

I tried again yesterday night, with what I believe are the latest drivers, and I had the same problems. I activated "debug mode" in the driver option before trying to connect, result found below.

First try was with PC Direct Mode, second try without PC Direct Mode. My indi-eqmod package is # 0.3+r3151~201706291025~ubuntu16.04.1.

First try:
INFO	22.607966 sec	: Session log file /home/tan/.indi/logs/2017-06-29/indi_eqmod_telescope/indi_eqmod_telescope_12:45:28.log
ERROR	45.248773 sec	: Error:  -> tty read failed, check connection: Timeout error
WARNING	45.248866 sec	: Communication with /dev/ttyUSB0 @ 9600 failed. Starting Auto Search...
ERROR	60.256949 sec	: Error:  -> tty read failed, check connection: Timeout error

Second try:
INFO	13.213760 sec	: Session log file /home/tan/.indi/logs/2017-06-29/indi_eqmod_telescope/indi_eqmod_telescope_12:46:38.log
ERROR	32.246964 sec	: Error:  -> tty read failed, check connection: Timeout error
WARNING	32.247023 sec	: Communication with /dev/ttyUSB0 @ 9600 failed. Starting Auto Search...
ERROR	47.258899 sec	: Error:  -> tty read failed, check connection: Timeout error

Seems like there isn't much information in those log files... I'll keep on trying regularly with a Skywatcher EQ-8 Pro mount and a Celestron CGE Pro mount. I haven't used the Celestron in a while but from what I remember it worked fine with INDI, using indi-synscan.

Thanks
6 years 8 months ago #17543

• Thank you received: 46
Hi Adrien,

I have a EQ8 and just tested the driver "indi-eqmod - 0.3+r3151~201706291025~ubuntu16.04.1" and it works just fine, but the difference is that I have a Rpi3 in my obsy and the mount connected with this cable : www.lawicel-shop.se/prod/usb-to-ttl-33v-...afruit_84589/SWE/SEK

I don't remember if I have tested using the mount conneceted via the HC but it should work setting the HC to "PC Direct Mode" and using 9600 as baudrate.

Br,
/Markku
6 years 8 months ago #17550

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds