INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Autoguiding Star Adventurer |Ekos

• Thank you received: 24
hello,

I am trying to configure autoguiding with Star Adventurer with EKOS and PHD2. Current set up is Nikon D810 as main camera, ZWO120 mms as guide and SA as the mount. Guide port of SA is connected with ST4 cable to guide of ZWO . ZWO Usb is pluuged into RPI.

Ekos is able to connect to ZWO without issues. But fails to connect to SA . Please advise what am I missing here.

In the EKOS profile, i Have chosen mount as EQMOD mount. and I get below error.

2017-07-07T17:00:23: Failed to connect to port (/dev/ttyUSB0). Error: Port failure Error: No such file or directory. Check if device is connected to this port.
2017-07-07T17:00:23: Connecting to /dev/ttyUSB0
2017-07-07T17:00:23: Trying connection to /dev/ttyUSB0 @ 9600 ...
2017-07-07T17:00:23: Communication with /dev/ttyUSB0 @ 9600 failed. Starting Auto Search...

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS: PHD2 works fine with ZWO and on Camera mount
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Tarun. Reason: more info
6 years 8 months ago #17686

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I was able to get this working by setting the baud rate to 115200 instead of 9600 and connecting the usb cable from PI to mount even though my mount was being powered by 4 AA batteries. So is it must to connect the cable to PI to get this working?

I was able to auto guide using iAstroHub without using this usb cable to mount, why does ekos/Indi requires me to connect this usb?
6 years 8 months ago #17780

• Thank you received: 37
@tkottary

How do you use your Star Adventurer with INDI? Do you use EQMod driver? I am fairly confused about the many different bundles and accessories of Star Adventurer. I am not even sure in which setup Star Adventurer is compatible with INDI? Can you explain your setup and what could you achieve with that?
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Csaba Kertesz.
6 years 2 months ago #22194

Yes you just choose eqmod driver on the indi and for phd2 guiding chose "on camera" as the mount.For some reason 9600 baud rate does not work and i have to use 15200 and click on connect again. I haven't really tried guiding yet, but phd2 is able to recognize my guider camera (zwo 120mm) so i don't see a reason why it would not work. Here's my setup.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Tarun.
6 years 2 months ago #22202
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 51
Hello tkottary
Just a question about this setup. How and with what do you connect the mount to the PC or PI control computer ?
Or do you use and ST4 port ?
Thanks for your answer
6 years 1 month ago #22996

@patdut: I received my Star Adventurer mount some days ago and I quickly checked with the EQMod driver in my living room. It is not really compatible because the Star Adventurer has only one moving axis and the EQMod driver can't operate with it properly because it expects both RA and DEC motors. I don't think that it would be possible/meaningful to "fix" this issue since the DSLR is anyway pointed by a ball head to a target and INDI has no idea about it. I did not check if the mount code is even specific to Star Adventurer to implement specific changes to this mount. So it is possible doable to make EQMod compatible with Star Adventurer, but I don't think it is worth the effort.
6 years 1 month ago #22997

@kecsap
I guess you can uncheck the Dec compensation in the guiding tab. Maybe PHD2 will guide only in RA. Maybe it is also necessary to check RA and DEC that are at right angle.
It worth to be tested.
6 years 1 month ago #23011

@patdut: Especially, it is not about guiding. EQMod shows completely erroneous values about the Dec coordinate hence you can't even see the telescope position in KStars. Though I did not check with plate solving which maybe resets the Dec position to some meaningful value. But I would say this mount does not work out of the box with EQMod.

As far as I read on the forums, the critical part is to get accurate polar alignment. After that you can get minutes long exposures with DSLR without guiding.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Csaba Kertesz.
6 years 1 month ago #23013

• Thank you received: 15
Hold on.... The usb cable that connect to the SA is for power or what? I believe the mini USB on SA can only act as power in and update firmware. Guiding on SA only depends on the ST4 port.
6 years 1 month ago #23111

It is for power and it supports also serial port connection. If you connect to Linux or Windows computer it will create a serial port and you can connect INDI EQMod to this port.
6 years 1 month ago #23112

Hello, I am in an observatory at 3000m height. I tried to connect a Star Adventurer on Indi/Ekos.
The connection on Ekos works fine (usig batteries). But I was unable to unpark the mount and have control on it with virtual paddle.
Is there any way to have full control on it and do autoguiding using Ekos ?
Thanx for your answers.
5 years 6 months ago #29407

Sorry I did not see the replies earlier. So the mount was able to connect but eqmod does not function properly.
5 years 6 months ago #29421

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds