INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Avalon mzero Stargo with lx200 protocol

• Thank you received: 4
Hello,
Thank you for your response ... and your work on KStars/Ekos under liunx.
6 years 8 months ago #18090

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
Hi Jean-Jaques,
when using the „Avalon“ driver, slewing, synching and guiding works well on my StarGO.
The downside is, that this driver does not implement all functions. In fact, the Avalon entry in the INDI drivers simply points to the lx200 basic driver.

I tried the lx200 classic driver, but this one seem not to work. Any idea how we get to a fully functional INDI driver? I would like to contribute to it, so if I could get the specs, I would at least give it a try.

CS
Wolfgang
6 years 1 month ago #23667

Hello Wolfgang,
I am not at home, I am at office, but I think I use the lx200 basic driver.
To use it, first, I use the stargo-BT application on a smartphone, to get position from gps. I put the position in the mount. Then I synchronize the mount.
After, I connect to Kstars-Ekos to perform a goto.
I do several trial, and I think the process with the Stargo-BT is required.

Excellent idea to contribute to a driver Avalon-StarGo for indi. But I have not the specification. Perhaps you can ask it to Avalon. They respond to question.
I find some information on the lx200 protocol. For example : www.meade.com/support/TelescopeProtocol_2010-10.pdf
I only modify the lx200 driver and tell the modification to Jasem.

I'm interessed with your work. We stay in touch.

Tonight, I tell you exactly which driver lx200 I use.
6 years 1 month ago #23684

Hello Jean-Jaques,
this week I am on ski holidays, so I do not have any access to my telescope.

One interesting thing I found in the manual (see pages 62/63 of rev. 3):
After the connection is made with SkySafari, an inital sync must be performed using the "Align" function of Sky Safari. Position the cursor on a star on the meridian and close to the southern horizon. Without moving the mount from its Home position, perform a sync to that star. This is equivalent to performing the “Sync Home Position” using the StarGO software as described in section 3.2.5 and will transmit the point where the mount is really pointing at that moment (i.e. the Celestial Pole) to the StarGO.

Maybe this works in general, not only for Sky Safary? Fiddeling around with several devices is not that nice...

Cheers
Wolfgang
6 years 1 month ago #23703

Hello Wolfgang,
The driver indi I use is lx200-basic.
I try to use sky-safari syncronization, but the gotos were bad after. Why ? I don't know ? Perhaps I do not perform good actions ?
But I try to synchronize with the application stargo-bt on a smartphone.
I can use the mount with differnet deives : kstars, the white keypad, ... no problem.

Good holidays.
Jean-Jacques
6 years 1 month ago #23714

Hi Jean-Jacques,
hm, did you try an initial home sync with the StarGO app from a Windows machine? When I do this, gotos afterwards are really fine.

Cheers
Olfgang
6 years 1 month ago #23715

Wolfgang,
Yes, when I synchronize from a windows machine or a android one, gotos are good.
With the lx200 basic driver from indi, I don't try to synchronize. So I do before using kstars a synchronisation with the smartphone android and the application Stargo-BT.
I think it will be good to have a driver for avalon-Stargo mount that perform the syncrhonisation directly.
6 years 1 month ago #23732

Jean-Jacques,
yes, having a dedicated avalon driver seems the best solution. In the meanwhile: after an initial home sync from a windows machine through StarGO, following syncs through the INDI lx200_basic driver works fine for me. I need StarGO under Windows only at the beginning and at the end when I want to slew to home. The rest of the time I drive my scope entirely through INDI on my Raspberry PI.

Wolfgang
6 years 1 month ago #23746

• Thank you received: 2
I have started working on a dedicated Avalon StarGO driver. I am a bit confused as to how I should handle the AUX control for the focuser since it shares the same serial port. Since this will be my first INDI driver there is a bit of a learning curve but I think after reviewing the lx200 drivers and what not I have a pretty good handle on it.

If you post the exact features you are looking for I can target those once I have the basic features done.
6 years 3 weeks ago #23827

• Thank you received: 2
I have a working focuser driver. It is very young and was mostly written to help me understand better how INDI works. You can checkout the code from: github.com/CanisUrsa/indi/tree/canisursa/avalon_work .

You should be able to use that to perform relative and absolute motions as well as abort any active motion. I tried this on my Avalon M-Zero and Avalon Focuser (connected to AUX1) and it works well. I do experience a timeout every now and then but I'd like to make sure someone else can get their focuser working. I'll be adding the sync capability next and trying to resolve the timeouts. Once that is working well enough I will move onto writing an Avalon mount driver.
6 years 3 weeks ago #23855

Ah, good to know that there is a working focusser!
Yesterday I worked on setting up my development environment and making first steps with the existing lx200_basic driver in the debugger.

Wolfgang
6 years 3 weeks ago #23864

Hello,
Oh good CanisUrsa to write a avalon driver.
I have no focuser, si I am only interessed with a mount driver.
The thing missing, for me, in the lx200_basic_driver, is the synchronisation at the beginning of the process.
So I use for that fonction the android stargo-bt application.
When you will have a mount driver in beta-test, I am candidate to test it, if you agree.

Jean-Jacques
6 years 3 weeks ago #23869

Time to create page: 0.927 seconds