INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Avalon mzero Stargo with lx200 protocol

• Thank you received: 370
Hi Jean-Jacques,
the PushCloud() is not the problem, I will take it into the product backlog. The invest in the physical device might be challenging - better you start saving money now :-)

Wolfgang
6 years 1 week ago #24417

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi folks,
the first imaging session with the new driver went almost fine. The driver worked perfectly fine for hours and I could take ~25 subs. The downside: my kstars client crashed after the meridian flip, so half of the night the scope was running, but no images were taken :angry:

Stay tuned...
Wolfgang
5 years 11 months ago #24998

Sorry about that, that's terrible. Please always run KStars in GDB so that if there is a crash, we'll get useful backtrace back. You can run it like this:
gdb --ex run --args kstars

If it crashes, just go back to the console and type in bt to get the backtrace and share that. Also the logs would be useful, but the backtrace is more useful in cases of crash.
5 years 11 months ago #25001

Thanks for the hint. I opened another thread here .

Wolfgang
5 years 11 months ago #25012

• Thank you received: 53
Great to see this work taking place. I am keen to help out if I can. I've had to revert to Windows since getting my M-UnoI don't think that is quite right. I've been chasing down an issue in the ASCOM driver where it fails to notify PHD2 when a guiding pulse is complete till very late. So in response to a guiding command Mg (followed by n/e/s/w for direction and nnnnn for duration in ms) e.g. Mge00678 a follow up X34 command returns m40 meaning the mount is guiding in RA. Once guiding is complete the X34 command returns m10. At least thats how it looks.
5 years 11 months ago #25043

Aha. Just saw Wolfgangs code where 4 means Moving at low speed to refine. That makes sense. In any case no problem for PHD2 as it only polls for IsGuiding on ASCOM mountsand even then it is apparently not reliable.
5 years 11 months ago #25047

Looking into things a bit more. I see that the StarGo ASCOM driver sends guiding pulses as %05d format versus the lx200 default of %04d. Not sure if this is a problem for the mount or not.
Also noticed that using the mount control, slewing even at highest speed was slow. I need to look deeper into this as I thought the default behaviour was that the 4 speeds correspond to Guiding, Centering, Finding and Slewing at the speeds set for each of those.
At face value, the INDI driver fixes an issue I'm having on ASCOM whereby there is often a long wait after a guide pulse is sent before PHD2 is informed that guiding has completed. I believe this is a bug in the ASCOM driver.
5 years 11 months ago #25189

For setting the 4 speeds please use the ASCOM client. I haven't implemented changing the speeds yet.
Concerning pulse guiding: same thing, maybe it works occasionally, but I did not change the behavior of the underlying lx200telescope implementation. Does pulse guiding work?
5 years 11 months ago #25193

I did have them set from ASCOM but the Slew speed was still slow. I'm a developer too so I'll dive into the code. When do you think you'll move the code to a branch of INDI?
5 years 11 months ago #25202

Hm, strange. Mine worked that way.
There are no fix plans when I shift it to INDI. Currently I am collaborating with CanisUrsa who takes care of the focuser part. When the focuser and the telescope are working on my repository it might be the right time to announce it for beta-testing and shift it to INDI.
5 years 11 months ago #25206

After another look the mount control is working fine. I did have a long delay before the first move and after that it worked well. Some operator error as well as I was holding down the buttons rather than toggling. I did get a timeout error early on but that may be due to holding down the button.
I see that the Telescope Simulator labels the slew speeds as Max/Find/Center/Guide rather than 1x/2x/3x/4x which is more accurate. Maybe that can be incorporated into the driver. Odd that the lx200_telescope driver does not do this by default.
If I make changes can I submit with a pull request? No issue if you prefer to keep it inhouse for now - just offering to help where I can.
Maybe Jasem can also advise on coding conventions. I tend to overload virtual methods to customize whereas the new driver seems to write a parallel method and invoke it. I prefer get/set terminology to the query... naming used.
5 years 11 months ago #25232

Hi Ken,
feel free to submit a pull request. Any help is warmly welcome!
Wolfgang
5 years 11 months ago #25243

Time to create page: 0.508 seconds