INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Avalon mzero Stargo with lx200 protocol

• Thank you received: 370
Have you already turned on logging to file? With debugging turned on for the Avalon driver, you could find the entire LX200 communication in the log file under ~/.local/share/kstars/logs

- Wolfgang
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Wolfgang Reissenberger.
5 years 7 months ago #28432

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 53
I had to enable logging from LX200driver as well so now I'm seeing what is happening. All is going ok until :X362# command which receives an additional :Z1nnn response (unless there is an unlogged command sent) and that throws out the rest of the stream. When I was snooping on the USB stream a while back I did see that some of the X36n commands get two responses. I'll see if I can flush the second response
5 years 7 months ago #28451

Made a great deal of progress but it took quite a bit of refactoring. As far as I could tell the issues were related to the commands/responses that went through the LX200driver code. Each time I migrated a function from there to the Stargo driver that command stopped being a problem. Its possibly a problem n the object code and maybe resolvable by rebuilding everything together but the code needed a bit of a cleanup anyway.
Attached are a before and after log. Due to some other problem the lat/lon coords fortuitously do not point to my home.
I haven't yet tested all the functions.
5 years 7 months ago #28475
Attachments:

Sounds good. It would be great if you create a pull request - or simply send me your modifications directly.
5 years 7 months ago #28477

Pull request sent. Its now very stable although it still has a couple of small things to fix around that timing problem. I thought I read in the code that the ttyread timeout was in seconds but I'm not seeing that. Elsewhere I've seen the timeout for ttyread being in tenths of a second which corresponds to what I'm observing. Currently the StarGo driver is using a timeout of 5 - if that's 0.5s then I might need to up it to 10 (1s) as I'm seeing the occasional read timeout which sometimes triggers the same issue I've been sorting out.
5 years 7 months ago #28503

• Thank you received: 1
I see you've been doing lot of great work on the StarGo driver ! Can you tell me where I can find the driver and test it ?
I can't find no traces of the LX200stargo driver !

Thanks !
5 years 6 months ago #29660

Sure. You can get the sources from Github.
github.com/sterne-jaeger/indi.git
Please checkout the branch named "stargo_work". In this branch you will find the sources under 3rdparty/indi-avalon.
You need to compile the sources as described in Readme.md in two steps:
- build libindi and install
- build 3rdparty (I would do it entirely) and install it.

Hope that helps
Wolfgang
5 years 6 months ago #29664

Thank you Wolfgang. I'm gonna try this :)
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by DrGkill.
5 years 6 months ago #29667

Compilation done without any problem, just have to run it now :) So eager to test it :)
5 years 6 months ago #29671

Ok ! So tried at home, main feature are working well.
What's not working :
  • Motion control, lots of latency and not useable
  • Joystick not working

As I know a bit of C++ and looked at the source code, I may try to help improving this driver.
Let me know if you accept PR;

Again, thanks for this great work. Love to see Opensource minds are also astronomers :)
5 years 6 months ago #29673

Great, feel free!
5 years 6 months ago #29674

You might want to look at my pull request as well. I've ironed out a lot of the issues with the driver and I've been using it successfully for several sessions now.
I didn't do anything with the joystick control but the latency issue should be resolved. One outstanding issue is that sometimes it seems to revert to pulse guiding with pulses timed in the code. But this does not appear to work at all and causes calibrations in PHD2 to fail. It is resolved by clicking the Use Pulse Guiding button even if it already shows pulse guiding enabled. I need some spare time to test it more thoroughly to confirm if StarGo responds at all to these commands and if not that section of code should be deprecated.
5 years 6 months ago #29684

Time to create page: 0.392 seconds