INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

EQMOD trough AstroEQ : Sideral track KO

• Thank you received: 1

Hello! I use latest indi lib. Compiled from source. This bugfix exist. But I cant start tracking. Its work only if I turn left or right navigation buttons in Ekos.
Example:
1. Start Indi server on Raspberry PI
2. Connect from KStars. Open Ekos
3. Click on Mount Tab
4. Click Tracking On (Tracking not start)
5. Open Mount Control - Click Left or Right (RA axis) for a short time. Tracking is start!

Arduino Mega 2560 with A4988

P.S. I noticed a strange behavior. After Parking On and Off - tracking can operate at "high speed". Randomly
P.S.S. Sorry for may bad English
6 years 1 month ago #23430

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2
You should make a debug log of the indi-eqmod-module ( link ). I can then compare it to my logs. Then we should know whether the bug is in indi or your astroeq.
I use the DRV8825 stepper drivers and had sometimes problems with the adjustment of the motor current but if you mount slews normal this should be okay.
6 years 1 month ago #23431

Thanks. I will make log today.
6 years 1 month ago #23432

This is my log from Ekos.
When I click on start tracking button motor takes a step and stop. After I click Right Button and motor start tracking...
6 years 1 month ago #23438
Attachments:

Ok I can confirm that in this situation tracking doesn't start. I never experienced this because I almost always make a slew before the tracking.
In my logfile I parked and unparked the mount and then tracking works.
I don't know much about the eqmod-protocoll but I think that the mount says
[COMM] read_eqmod: \"=101\", 5 bytes read
when the tracking doesn't start
[COMM] read_eqmod: \"=301\", 5 bytes read
when it works

File Attachment:

File Name: log_09-12-16.txt
File Size:290 KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrey
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Niklas.
6 years 1 month ago #23464
Attachments:

Thanks! I'll investigate source code github.com/indilib/indi/tree/master/3rdparty/indi-eqmod and github.com/TCWORLD/AstroEQ. Maybe I'll found a problem...
6 years 1 month ago #23466

• Thank you received: 54
thank you guys !
i thought i was alone with that problem...
I have not found anything so far, and i gave up.

BTW : may i recommend much better drivers ?
TMC2100 are soooooo smooth and silent !
A4988 are in trash now :cheer:

Gilles
6 years 1 month ago #23493

The TMC2100 sounds very interesting. Are they really more silent? Because my steppers with the DRV8825 sometimes are so loud that I hope it does not disturb the neighbors.
6 years 1 month ago #23507

• Thank you received: 88
Hi,
The reason why it works in one case and not another one is that AstroEQ does not implement the same state machine as the skywatcher firmware. Actually AstroEQ is based on the ASCOM eqmod driver and its message exchange. The problem here is that start tracking requires the motor controller to be in low speed mode. This mode corresponds to the first 1 in the mount answer you gave. The Indi driver does not set the mode if the motor controller is already in the desired one because this is unuseful with the skywatcher firmware. AstroEQ seems to require that the mode be always set before sending a start command, thus it does not start motor in the first case. In the second case, as the mode differs, the indi driver sets the mode before starting motor and that works.
I'm not sure if changing the indi driver would be so simple as ASCOM eqmod is closed source, I really think the best would be that AstroEQ implements the skywatcher protocol as the protocol has been described by skywatcher itself. I already changed the indi eqmod driver to fit AstroEQ requirement (was forcing the motor controller in low speed mode after a move, even if this is the default behavior of the skywatvher firmware). You point another issue here, I don't know how to solve it simply, and i'm not sure if there won't be another issues later.
Jean-Luc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gehelem, Niklas, Andrey
6 years 1 month ago #23508

• Thank you received: 54
Oh yes !!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Niklas
6 years 1 month ago #23510

Time to create page: 0.769 seconds