INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Strange behavior of Celestron NexStar Driver

• Thank you received: 2
Yesterday, in the evening I decided to finally test Ekos in action and image C/2014 Q2. But I got out of luck in the very beginning...
Today, on a calm and fresh head I decided to properly investigate what the heck is wrong.
Problem consists of 2 parts - one from the telescope side and one from the INDI side.
I don't know why but our CGE Pro mount has gone crazy - if setting up local time as expected (current local time, Daylight Savings and Zone 2) telescope is positioning to the point there the desired object was 2 hours ago... Strange indeed! I tried to put Universal Time - it helped, telescope is getting to the object. If someone can help me understand what I am doing wrong with the setting up and how to fix it I will be very thankful!
In the morning I made full update of the mount and hand controller - no changes. Ok, now it is Universal Time set up and everything looks fine. I tried MaximDL 5 - it shows the correct position, changing to another object and back to the initial shows no problems. After that I switched to Linux... and here we start even stranger things!
After connecting to the telescope there are 2 things which frustrates me completely. First - KStars's cross-marks of the telescope is pointed at the object's position 1 hour ahead. The other one - time of the hand control is changed (!). Instead of Universal Time I get Zone 2, Daylight Savings switched to Standard Time and even the clock is moved 1 hour ahead (but from yesterday "fight" I observed that's not always the case - there can be no clock shift, it depends on the settings before the connection)! How this is even possible, I haven't found anything related in the description of the protocol... Trying to move from KStars results in positioning of the telescope 1 hour backward... This is not the end! After going to the hand control and choosing the same object KStars is moving cross-mark where it should actually be. Any movements done from KStars after that are OK.
So, here are the questions:
1) How to fix problem with the time-site? (NexStar owners, help me please! Google isn't of the big help...)
2) Why time-site is changed by INDI?
3) Why initial positioning is wrong in KStars?

And that's not all I found yesterday, again... But it is time to create a new thread :)
9 years 2 months ago #2698

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

In KStars options, you can select whether you want to automatically send location and time settings to the telescope. You can also select the "update source", i.e. if the update source is the telescope, then KStars time and location settings are synced to the ones reported by the headset and vice versa.
9 years 2 months ago #2731

• Thank you received: 2
That's an interesting plot twist! :lol: I assumed that it is impossible to change anything in the HC from PC and it "blinded" me. But now arise question - how do you update telescope time an location from PC?As I can guess the NexStar protocol isn't described fully in the official manual from the Celestron? Or I am missing something else?
9 years 2 months ago #2732

Time to create page: 0.397 seconds