INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] eqmod does not remember scope position.

• Thank you received: 223
There is still something odd with this issue. I've set it as you said but its still not working.
From the Indi control panel if you disconnect EqMod after slewing to a target and reconnect shortly after, the red crossair will be where you left the telescope pointing at.
Now if from Ekos, you stop the remote indi server then on full reconnection the red crossair will be pointing slightly under Polaris and not where the actual telescope is pointing to.

I'm at lost as to what I'm doing wrong, this is a feature which must work for me to be able to complete my remote observatory.
Maybe it's a bug, maybe it's a setting which I'm doing wrong.

Please help.
9 years 1 month ago #3161

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I will check it tomorrow evening and let you know.
9 years 1 month ago #3165

I tested this yesterday, and EQMod will "remember" its position even if I shut INDI server and start it again.

Check this screen capture:

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52658751/eqmod.mkv
9 years 1 month ago #3179

Hi Jasem,

Thanks for the screen grab. Is there any special settings you're using to get the mount to remember the location?
As Ekos / Kstars settings?
I'm currently away in Germany where my remote observatory will be and cannot test this again as everything is back home in the UK.

I will take a screen grab from my side too when I'm back next week.
On my side, it only remembers the location if you disconnect the EqMod driver from the Indi control panel.
If you do full on disconnect, shutdown, restart , reconnect the all lot (a bit like your video) then the location is reset to slightly under Polaris.

Stephane
9 years 1 month ago #3180

No special settings, just using the defaults. Can anyone else with EQMod checks this?
9 years 1 month ago #3182

This is odd really.
in Kstars ~ Ekos I have the following set:
Configuration - Load Device Configuration : On Connection
Kstars ~ Indi - Update source: Device

I have even set the Update source to client and the problem persists.

One thing to notice is that when it's set to "Update source: Device", within the EqMod control panel I have to manually set the time (in the Site Management location tab).
Could it be that my issues comes from the time on the Odroid VS the time on the Kstars VM not being the same?
9 years 1 month ago #3183

Just thought about something, in the Ekos VM which I'm using, just done an apt-get update/upgrade (do that on a daily basis) and noticed that the indi-eqmod was updated.
root@ekos:~# dpkg -l | grep indi-eqmod
ii  indi-eqmod                            0.2+r46.187~ubuntu14.10.1                 amd64        INDI EQMod Driver.
root@ekos:~# 

However on the Odroid running debian, I use the deb files from the download section and that file doesn't get any new updates.
I believe (from memory as I can't access my Odroid from here), it's version 0.2 only.

edit:
Shall I return to Ubuntu for my Odroid, so that I can get all the latest updates for the Indi packages automatically as they become available?
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Gonzothegreat.
9 years 1 month ago #3184

On my return I will wipe the eMMc and install the official Odroid Ubuntu image instead of that stripped down Debian.
I'm a Debian guy....

I will retest the all thing and report of any issues.
9 years 1 month ago #3186

I thought about using the EqMod simulator to demonstrate what I'm seeing on my side.
I've attached a screen recording (using the same tool as you).

EDIT:
33b7583a5f908e61a232-6b8a975948e4f6a1f52...n.com/Ekos-eqmod.mkv
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Gonzothegreat.
9 years 1 month ago #3248

• Thank you received: 88
Hi,
If you use the simulator, this behavior is normal as the simulator is started/initialized each time you connect the mount. When using a real mount, the driver tests if the motors have already been initialized when you connect the mount. There should be a message announcing this status, maybe in debug mode, but I think I always display how the driver considers the initial position. The only reason you may find your mount uninitialized is when you power it down. If you want to remember the position between power-ups of the mount, you should use Park/Unpark.
I had a look to your video and you actually use the indi_simulator_telescope, not he simulator part of the indi_eqmod driver, what I said before only concerns the eqmod driver.

Jean-Luc.
9 years 1 month ago #3251

Thanks, that explains it for the simulator.

ah I see, I can't remember powering down the scope at all as in turning off the power.
However, now that I think of it, when I kill the indiserver on the Odroid, I can hear the motors being disengaged, as in: you can turn them with your fingers.
When you start the indiserver, you can clearly hear a "clonk" sound, the stepper motors are "hot" and you cannot turn them with your fingers (the pulley).
Maybe this is an issue with the AstroEQ box I'm using to control the EQ3-2 stepper motors.
If it is, then I need to figure out what to do as this is quite a problem for my observatory.

two different things yes, just thought it would work :D, obviously not.
9 years 1 month ago #3253

• Thank you received: 88
Had a look to AstroEQ source code, and it seems the only place where motors are disabled (and reinitialized) is when the ATMega firmware recieves the synta 'L' command (instant stop motor). Quickly searched through the indi_eqmod driver code but did not find a place where the driver uses that command (I have thought to the Abort button, but even there, it is a normal stop command). You may look at the serial debug in indi_eqmod driver to check if and when this 'L' command is sent. Otherwise It seems that AstroEQ uses the same status bit for motor initialization.
9 years 1 month ago #3254

Time to create page: 0.463 seconds