INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

from Park to Home position ~ never the same.

• Thank you received: 223
This issue is different from the one I had when the mount on reconnection wasn't pointing where I left it, this is now sorted with the new mount.

However, I have noticed something which I can't understand why it's happening. Let me explain.
I set the 'home' position with the weight straight down, telescope pointing straight to Polaris.
Here's an example (not my scope, but I have the same mount):

I can confirm in Kstars that the telescope crosshair is bang on Polaris.
From that, I slew the mount to it ends up in the parked position which is:

From park, I can unpark the mount, slew to Polaris from Ekos: not a problem, the mount will be in the home position (as seen in the picture above).
I can repeat this several times and that works.

Now here comes the fun part.
I shutdown my observatory after parking the mount and closing the roof, all good.
Leave it for alone...

On reconnection, as in power, indiserver running on the Odroid C1 etc....
I open up the roof, connect from Ekos to the Odroid C1 running the indiserver, unpark the mount and send the slew to Polaris command.
Now at that point, the mount SHOULD be in the same position as the home position after the slew is finished.
It is not the case, the RA is nowhere near being vertical (as weight down), and the DEC seems to be pointing to Polaris.
What strange is that in Kstars, the crosshair is bang on Polaris after the slew has finished.

I do not understand why the shift in mount position. From that miss-position, I issue a park command. I would expect my mount to be parked in the wrong position but this is not the case. It parks exactly where it should. No issues.

Done the above twice today, the RA was once at +20 deg up, second time it was at -10 deg (with 0 deg = horizontal and 90 deg = vertical, weight down).

Could someone explain this behaviour please?
Am I doing something wrong somewhere?
9 years 1 week ago #3933

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My initial guess is that the RA values change quite rapidly as you approach the celestial pole. Did you try slewing anywhere else?
9 years 1 week ago #3938

I think I have slewed to stars near Polaris betweens, I will do another test this evening and see how it goes.
It is definitely an odd one. I don't mind if the mount is slightly offset when in the home position, but when you see the RA going backward (ie: mount is going down instead of up from the horizontal park position.....) it's scary.
9 years 1 week ago #3939

• Thank you received: 88
Is the Odroid at the same time as your desktop running kstars ? I had the same issue and it could explain why it still points to polaris in kstars.
9 years 1 week ago #3947

Both the Ekos VM and the Odroid are using ntpd and the time on both exactly the same.
9 years 1 week ago #3948

I have done the following test this evening:

reset the home position to Polaris.
reset the park position (as per picture posted earlier, horizontal mount).
ntpdate the Odroid and the VM = same time almost to the exact second on both machines.
deployed my observatory (bash script), this does: opening the roof, connecting to the HEQ5, deploy the scope to Polaris (home position).
closed the observatory (bash script), this does: park the scope, close roof once confirmation that the mount is parked (at the moment, this software only but soon I will add some physical sensors).

Done the deploy and close at least 3 times, everything went well. The mount was in the right place in the home position on deploy and in the right place on Park.
I then got Kstars/Ekos involved in the middle, now I must point out that I've set the update "to device" and not local.
The home position and Park are correct now.

However, I'm going to do more tests tomorrow. I will shutdown physically the all system as in: no power at all.

stay tuned....
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Gonzothegreat.
9 years 1 week ago #3956

• Thank you received: 0
This is the same problem I have with my Celestron GPS mount.

Another issue: When you park the scope is the RA still being updated?
That appears to be the case with my Celestron mount. The consequence of that is that the scope continues to move if you leave it unattended in Park, which is scary.
9 years 1 week ago #3960

Celestron is a different implementation, the pervoius applied to EQMod only.
9 years 1 week ago #3965

Some inevitable change to the ParkData.xml file.. so prior files will no longer be valid in the next INDI update. You can delete the file and recreate it, or just edit the file and change raposition to axis1position and deposition to axis2position and it should be good to go.
9 years 6 days ago #3968

Just started another test after leaving the all thing offline (no power), I did leave the mount pointing to Polaris, issued a park and now the mount is not parked where it should have been.
Really getting confused as to why this is the case.
9 years 5 days ago #3989

on a maybe linked issue to this, after updating the Odroid and Ekos vm, I cannot load up the configuration from Ekos (which means, all my telescope info, time, location etc... are lost)
9 years 5 days ago #3990

Please post your:

1. Configuration file
2. Debug log when parking/unparking. The full log should be enabled as soon as you start EQMod.
9 years 4 days ago #3994

Time to create page: 0.447 seconds