INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Parking eqmod

• Thank you received: 1

Parking eqmod was created by vince

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help me with the following. I thought that if I parked eqmod, it would remember it's position next time I fire everything off. This does not seem to be the case.

Couple of notes about my setup:

Boot up the raspberry pi and other devices. Start indi server. Launch kstars and ekos. Start indi and connect devices. The mount had been parked so it is still parked. But kstars thinks it is pointing to ncp (I've defined my park position to be all horizontal to fit in the observatory). I have to manually set the scope near ncp and then I can do my things. When I park, it does park it in the correct position.

I thought if I parked it, it would not only remember that it is parked but also where it is parked.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Vince
8 years 8 months ago #4636

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Parking eqmod

I've been in this situation see thread www.indilib.org/forum/mounts/711-from-pa...me.html?limitstart=0
What mount do you have and what connection is there from the Pi to the mount?
8 years 8 months ago #4646

Replied by vince on topic Parking eqmod

Atlas eq6. Connected via USB/serial adaptor (I think from shoestring astronomy). I put the mount in direct pc mode and use eqmod.
8 years 8 months ago #4648

I used to have an EQ3-2 with the AstroEQ box as a controller, had the same issues as you're having now.
Moved to an HEQ5-pro and the hitecastro-eqdir-adapter www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cable...o-eqdir-adapter.html and all my parking issues have now gone away.
Check if that cable can control your mount.
8 years 8 months ago #4649

Thanks. I'll check this again but I thought the parking function worked fine with eqascom. But again, I'll have to confirm that. If it doesn't, then the theory would be the cable is at fault?
8 years 8 months ago #4650

Not saying it's the cable, I've changed the mount and the connection type. Too many factors in the middle to find out what exactly was wrong.
I'm also using the latest packages at all time.
8 years 8 months ago #4651

• Thank you received: 88

Replied by Jean-Luc on topic Parking eqmod

Hi,
This is surely not the cable as long as communication is ok.
Can you post the contents of the ~/.indi/ParkData.xml file ? It should contain your Park position together with the park status. If kstars points to NCP it means that the driver thinks the mount has not been parked (check the messages on connection) or the park position is NCP.
Related to the thread pointed above www.indilib.org/forum/mounts/711-from-pa...me.html?limitstart=0 I noticed that kstars, when connecting a mount, seems to send UTC time corresponding to the time it has been launched. Ok, actually kstars was paused when I connect the mount, if I set time to now this is ok. So always check that kstars clock is started when connecting your mount.
8 years 8 months ago #4654

Ok. Will try to find this file. Should I be looking on the server (pi2) or the client (laptop)... sorry for the dumb questions.
8 years 8 months ago #4655

It is on the server under the home directory of the user launching the indiserver command.
8 years 8 months ago #4657

Well, that seems to be the problem... the file does not exist. I also noticed that when I click the Write Data button in EKOS, it says: cannot write to ~/.indi/ParkData.xml no such file or directory.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Don't know if this is related but my serial/usb cable is Sabrent CB-RS232 USB 2.0 TO SERIAL (9-PIN) DB-9 RS-232 ADAPTER. I've never installed drivers for this (I found it on the Sabrent website but I don't know how to compile/install it (new to this Linux thing)... Since the mount seems to be working fine in every other way I can imagine, I just figured the driver was already installed. If you guys think this may be the problem, I would appreciate some advice to compile/install the driver (pl2303.c) on the raspberry pi.

Thanks again for the help!
- Vince
8 years 8 months ago #4666

I think the ~/.indi directory does not exist for the user running the indiserver on your rpi. I wonder acutally who is responsible for creating it in indi, but you can simply create it by hand using
mkdir ~/.indi
directly in a shell on your rpi. Then restart the server and test again. If the file exists you may also test the rwx permissions on this directory for the user running the indiserver with
ls -l ~/.indi
Linux has default drivers already in the kernel for a bunch of usb serial converters such as your pl2303 or the ftdi232 for instance. So you don't have to worry about it as soon as you get a /dev/ttyUSB device created when you plug it.
8 years 8 months ago #4668

Ok, some progress... but no cigar yet.

I used the mkdir command exactly as written above. It seems to have worked, as in no error was produced. However, I wasn't able to find the folder (don't know if this is because I was SSH-ing in... But regardless, In EKOS, when I clicked the "write data" button, it did not report the previous error that the ParkData file did not exist. So... seems like that problem was solved.

BUT, I still have the same issue. It remembers that it is parked, but thinks it is pointing at NCP. Again, here's my sequence (although I have a tried a couple of variations). Note that I have the "load configuration on connect" and "configuration form computer (rather than device) checked. I may be wrong with the terminology... I don't have it in front of me right now.

Slew to desired park position
Click current park position
Click write data
Park
Disconnect devices in EKOS
Stop indi
Close KStars
Stop indiserver (^C... not sure if there's another way to do this)
Shut down pi
Turn off mount.

Then turn everything back on... it remembers it's parked but thinks its at NCP.

I'll plug a monitor in the pi tonight and see if I can find the ParkData file.
Vince
8 years 8 months ago #4672

Time to create page: 1.040 seconds