INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] Unable to connect EQ6 Synscan Pro to Ubuntu

• Thank you received: 0
Hello!
I am trying to control a EQ6 Synscan Pro mount with a laptop, running Ubuntu 14.04. I use an EQdir interface with a usb to serial cable to connect the mount to the laptop and everything works fine on windows with EQMOD ASCOM drivers.

• On Ubuntu I installed INDI library and Kstars with no errors and everything seems to work fine.
• Ubuntu recognize the serial cable and mount it on ttyUSB0.
• With minicom I set up the connection like this: 96000 8N1.
• On Kstars I choose EQMOD mount and set /dev/ttyUSB0 port.
• After a while the software returns "connection failed, probably timed out"

Should I set up the connection with a different way, or is there any other mistake I make?

Thank you for your help!
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Agis.
8 years 7 months ago #4775

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 21
Dear Agis.
I'm not sure to be able to help you really about your issue, but anyway I've two suggestions for you to going on your issue.
First is the user account running KStars have to be member of the group "dialout" if not the driver couldn't get access to the /dev/ttyUSB0 device. You could check it with the command "groups". To add a group you have to type this command: "sudo usermod -a -G groupName userName" You need at least to logout/login to activate change.

Second one please read these instructions to provide debug data with your request. It would be easier to support you with these data.

With my Best regards
Philippe Besson
Skywatcher HEQ5, Televue 101-IS, Takahashi FS-60CB
Focus Boss II with OptecInc TCF-S focuser and Starlight Instruments HSM20 handy stepper motor
Guiding camera ZWO ASI120MM
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
8 years 7 months ago #4778

Thank you for your answer!

I've already added the user to the group dialout and changed permissions to 777 also. I also collected the informations from the instructions you suggested me:
INDI Library: 1.0.0
KStars Version: 2.2.0
Ubuntu: 14.04 LTS
Kernel: 3.13.0-45-generic
Error from log file: tty read failed, check connection: Timeout error
8 years 7 months ago #4781

Bad news; please could try to:

Connect to the mount via minicom (EQMod driver is set to 115000,8,0,1, please use this setting)
If you try to sent some commands, do you get any answer?

Example:
command ":e1"
answer "=02$0401"
Command ":a1"
Answer "=00B289"
Command "K2"
Answer "101"

What is the result of the command "lsof | grep USB0" on a terminal session. (check it with "dmesg" as some time after disconnedtion of the USB cable, the UBS port could change). Test it before connection, during connection and after the error occur!
the best is to have nothing else connected to any USB port of your PC expect the mount to avoid any mistakes

Please take care that the Debug level "com port" is activated and attach the debug file to the topic.

As your mount works with ASCOM the cable should works fine

Could you test the connection via the serial port of the Synscan paddle in normal mode and in by-pass mod. This to check if it works in this way. This is not recommanded but it would be interresting to see if in this configuration it works. As far as I know the EQDirect is not officialy supported by the provider. Maybe there is an issue with the EQ6 mount in Direct connection.

Philippe
Philippe Besson
Focus Boss II with OptecInc TCF-S focuser and Starlight Instruments HSM20 handy stepper motor
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
8 years 7 months ago #4785

• Thank you received: 375
Agis,
You have an error in you serial connection speed. You say "with minicom I set up the connection like this: 96000 8N1"
We're talking 9600 bps not 96000 bps on the serial line so the parameter should be 9600 not 96000.
8 years 7 months ago #4788

• Thank you received: 88
Do you stop minicom before connecting the mount in the driver ? The driver requires exclusive access to the serial port, the error should be printed in the server log. Anyway there is no need normally to set anything before connecting the mount.
8 years 7 months ago #4796

Thank you very much for your answers.
I am sorry, 96000 was a typing mistake, I meant 9600.

I found the problem and the solution also. My adaptor cable uses a CH341 chip and not the PL2303 chip . Linux have the drivers for this chip but there is something like a bug for the 8N1 type of communication. So on this site, there is a patched driver that fix this problem for linux kernel 3.13.x:
askubuntu.com/questions/343522/usb-to-se...adapter-doesnt-works
I installed it and works fine!

Now i am trying to fix the same problem on my raspberry, which has kernel version 3.18, but i still didn't make it. I found a cpp file to complile and replace the old driver but i can't complile it. I will inform you when I have good results.
8 years 7 months ago #4809

This is nice to read that you find the solution. and thank you to share it with the coomunity.
Unfortunattely it was working with ASCOM and I take a too short way to think it should be OK :oops:

Succes to solve your issue on RPI.
Best regards
Philippe Besson
Filterwheel OptecInc IFW
Camera not set yet
Switzerland
8 years 7 months ago #4813

• Thank you received: 9
You might check the posting above for eqmod not working. The issue is the USB port is running at 15200kbs. ... Bruce
8 years 7 months ago #4910

Time to create page: 0.997 seconds