INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Troubles INDI controls with my AZEQ6

• Thank you received: 51
Hello,

I tested yesterday part of my setup. AZEQ6->synscan->USB2 adapter to USB3(Notebook)->INDI server
The device connect to INDI but I can't use the INDI pad to move it. I get a message telling me than N/S moving are not possible with this device same for E/W.
Did I missed something ?
My software setup: Kstars, INDI, Ekos all fresh update under ubuntu 15.04.

Thanks for your answer
8 years 4 months ago #5800

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11
Hi Patrick,
check your mount connection and functions with USB 2 ports only. I can't tell much about USB 3 incompatibilities as my machines have USB 2 only but there are numerous forum entries about problems with mixed USB connectors.

Klaus
8 years 4 months ago #5803

Hello Klaus,

I have only one USB2 available on my notebook and 2 USB3. Same situation for my Odroid device which will be my central server.
Is the problem on the software side, I mean INDI? The USB2 to serial port ?
I have to look if it exists hub adapters from USB2 to USB3 that can fix the problem. If you know some discussions on this topic would be nice if you can give me the url to consult them.

Regards

Patrick
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Patrick.
8 years 4 months ago #5806

• Thank you received: 11
Hi Patrick,

what about connecting the mount directly to an USB2 port on your PC. Does it work?

I have no specific URL discussing USB incompatibilities but Google "USB2 USB3 incompatibilities" spits out some pages to look for. One hint was to shut down computer, make all connections and than start up. You may try this - sounds a bit weird but if it helps!

Klaus
8 years 4 months ago #5808

The direct connection works fine whatever the port is USB 2.0 or 3.0. But the connection through Synscan doesn't works whatever the port is USB 2.0 or 3.0. So I would incline for a bad handling of the synscan by INDI driver for AZEQ6. Or another explanation is that synscan driver developers decide to prohibit the usage of the control pad in INDI.
The solution will be to use the direct connection.

Pat
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Patrick.
8 years 4 months ago #5811

This has nothing to do USB2/3, NSEW commands are not available in the INDI synscan driver. If anyone knows the command set used for this let me know and I'll add it to the driver. The official synscan documentation doesn't mention to how command direction via RS232.
8 years 4 months ago #5828

• Thank you received: 46
I've recently been re-working parts of the synscan driver to take advantage of some of the features that showed up in the latest firmware release. With the 3.37 firmware on the hand controller, it's now capable of letting the computer set the time and lat/long over the serial connection. I'm about halfway thru the issues of dealing with arbitrary park positions using a few of the newer commands.

As soon as I've sorted out the last few details of re-setting the park position, then I'll commit an update for this driver. With these details in place, it will be possible to use the synscan hand controller remotely, without the need to press buttons at startup.

Once I have this next rev working that will allow full remote operation over the hand controller serial connection, then I'll do another rev that incorporates the indi alignment platform. When thats in place, we should end up with as much capability using the hand controller for the serial connection, as we would have using an eqmod connector, and it will be capable of running from power up, without any human intervention on the hand controller. At least that's the goal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrick
8 years 4 months ago #5840

I have finished the first phase of cleanup and support for more functionality in the driver for synscan handset. Things I have complete now

- Support for motion control from the generic motion control tab
- Handle get / set of the date / time on the newer firmware versions
- Handle get / set of lattitude and longitude for newer versions
- Properly detect a parked mount in a manner that works with numerous handset firmware versions.

I have started working in support for parking, but, there are some issues dealing with arbitrary park positions. For this cut of the driver, functionality is in place, but it's all hard wired to just allowing the default park position to be used.

I tried to commit this into the repository on sourceforge a few minutes ago, but, it seems SF is offline right now. I'll try again in a few hours when I get back to the computer from doing some chores around the yard.

All of these changes are tested here using handsets with V3.25 and V3.37 firmware loaded, using my eq3 mount that is sitting in the corner of my office. I wont be able to test against the EQ6 of HEQ5 for a few days due to weather. The EQ6 is under covers outside, and it's to wet right now to haul the cover off.

3.37 has one annoying bug at startup, about half the time it doesn't properly initialize the communication with the motor controllers on the EQ3, so one has to power cycle it again, and hope it gets it right on the next try. I believe it has the same issue, just not as often with the EQ6. My understanding from reading online, this issue is mostly with mounts a few years old, and doesn't happen with the newer mounts. I expect there will be a firmware update in the relatively near future that addresses this issue.

My next project with this driver, is to include the alignment subsystem into the driver, not sure how much work it will be, I'd like to get it done this weekend, but, I suspect my wife has a honey-do list that will soak up enough time I dont get finished yet this weekend.
8 years 4 months ago #5867

Ok, sourceforge seems to be back, I have commited the changes now.
8 years 4 months ago #5868

Sorry to be back with my problems.
This evening I decided to test my full setup on the field. Was a good resolution and the weather was wet even if there was some nebulosity.
I made a serious calibration than polar alignment and another calibration on the AZEQ6.
I connected the Odroid device which hold the INDI server.
I took control with a remote laptop and start Kstars.
I pointed Vega with handpad (goto) and Vega was in the center of the field.
Looking at the Kstars I noticed an offset of about 30" in azimuth and about 1° in altitude.
I checked all that I could. Location, dates and so on. I checked the position of Vega on the handpad and it was the same as the one oin kstars within few seconds.
I tried encoder synchronisation. I stopped and restarted the server than ekos. But nothing worked.
I didn't found any reason to this offset.

So I had to stop my tests there.

Does somebody met this kind of problems ??
8 years 3 months ago #6152

The only thing I could think of is maybe KStars "time" was a bit off? Did you make sure it is correct time in KStars? What were the Vega coordinate you had in the hand controller?
8 years 3 months ago #6154

I had the following values:
38°47 and 18°40

I have a doubt. Is the clock on the server side is used ?
Because this might be an issue with the clock of the Odroid.

Another hypothesis. I use the PC direct function of the handpad. Could it have an issue with this ?
I used it because I don't know if I can disconnect the handpad after setting calibration and polar alignment to connect via the eqmod cable.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Patrick.
8 years 3 months ago #6155

Time to create page: 1.115 seconds